Marching Band Solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Recently, I was chosen to play this years marching band solo, and it was really easy until they began to play around with it and changed it so I play the solo up an octave. And, I will be honest, after I got my braces off, its a challenge for me to get up to high c. So...any tips. Also, any tips on how to play louder than a band of 120 people? :dontknow: Thanks!

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    How high are they asking you to play the solo? I hope this isn't a situation where an overzealous director is ruining a good player...especially after such a traumatic change as getting your braces off... You may not be ready. Still....

I know the temptation is to think exactly as you describe. (how do I play "LOUDER" than the 120 pc band??) Sometimes (and I don't mean to assume "you" think this way...just cautioning against it)... a player can build up that angst and think they need to give it all they've got to out blow the band. What ends up happening is they "over" blow...the lips fly apart...they lose all vibration/resonance to their sound. So, instead of being louder, their aperture spreads as wide as the marching field and they actually "lose" volume (by virtue of the lack of vibration/resonance and spread aperture). Range goes by the way side...etc...etc.

As many of my other posts indicate, I draw a lot of correlation between trumpet and golf. Your situation is just like standing over a shot...thinking you have to get over that nasty bunker down the fairway to even be close to having a shot at the green in 2...rear back....over swing...and shank the ball into the woods. ;-) If you would have relaxed...taken a smooth, controlled swing...the ball would not only have gone farther than one that's in the woods, it probably would have gone straighter and definitely safe.

Keep your focus. Blow to the center of the notes...keeping your sound projected straight in front of you (these are pictures in your mind). Relax and keep that aperture in check. Support with your air (there "is" a difference between support and over blowing). Your sound will maintain the resonance...thus providing the necessary volume. You most likely will be positioned in front of the band (??) and coupled with the range you will be playing in, should allow the audience to hear you just fine.

Best of success to you!!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Brad's answer is right on, Blazing Asian! Relaxation is the key to "loud" playing. Listen to your echo rather than the bell and it will be plenty loud. The real untold secret hidden advantage to playing marching band solos is that it gets dates--almost as good as electric guitar that way, and our dates are way smarter!

4. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    The highest is a b before high c. (I know, that would be a piece of cake for others but...)

Your advice is really excellent Brad. Thank you!

XD Yes!

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Well, congratulations to "you" on receiving that honor. I'm sure you'll do just great. I'll bet you have some time before any real performances, which will give you time to get acclimated to the range of this solo. Come show time, it won't be a shock to your system. Everything is new right now.

Hope you have a lot of fun. (report back on what happens to your dating schedule...hahahaha). That was funny.