Marching Band Woes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    So you don't like playing the trumpet? why are you still playing, may i ask?

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    Um... then why play? Why do you "have" to play for two years in college? Are you saying you're only doing it bcause you have to, or are we mistaken?

3. mr jazz

mr jazz New Friend

Jun 9, 2008
    lol, I have the opposite problem. I play first part, so I always overdo it on the field in the morning, then at first period band, my lips are shot :/

our trumpet section is kinda weak. only about 5 or 6 of us are very good...

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    it sound very frustrating. Have you talked to your director? What does he say. What you describe could end up really hurting your lips. Do you know a good trumpet teacher you can go to. What kind of mpc and horn are you using. the posting from pedal C is very true. If you are blasting your sound will go about 2 feet and stop. A good teacher can show you how to project your sound without blowing your chops out. Let us know what your director says.

Bob G

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you don't like it than why do it. Is it required to play in the other ensembles at your school? If not leave!!! You'll just end up hating to play your trumpet!!!

Bob G

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    So you don't like playing the trumpet? why are you still playing, may i ask?- Sauer
    Oh, no, I meant I don't like marching and playing. Sorry for not making it clear. I love playing trumpet. If I was good enough, I would try to go professional, but I'll teach I think. Sorry again, but YES I love the trumpet. It's basically my life. Sorry everyone!

mr jazz, I know how you feel, we only have 2-3 who even play, and they aren't really that good.

Mr. Grier, I just started lessons last week. I play on a 7C, (I know, I know. Beginners use it, but I never thought to change and now I have a hard time switching.) But my parents are just now letting me get lessons. And I have to play in college because both colleges I'm looking at require 2 years of marching band for music ed majors. And there are really no other ensembles at our school. We have a central band of about 65 members, and everyone does marching and concert season. We don't have anything else.

Once again, sorry for the confusion

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008