Marching Band Woes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Subito Piano, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I've really enjoyed your posts. They're an interesting window into a world I never really had any experience with. There wasn't a marching band at either my high school or college and I wasn't really interested anyways.

I do march in a lot of parades and festivals which are sort of a different thing but not that different. They are a lot less regimented and care less about appearances while marching, so I have never bothered to learn how to march well (beyond matching strides with other players in a row and staying in line vertically, that is).

I just did your quick test and there's a lot of "bobble" when I play. It's not normally a problem except it does make low playing difficult, and I'm sure it doesn't help my endurance. I think following your advice will help my chops at least a little for those 10+ hour Italian feasts...

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Bobble" is a marching musician's enemy IMO. If one is an ex-Marine or ex-elite unit of another branch of military service, I don't think that you'll be suffering for such has been "drilled out of you". Still, I think I was fortunate to have a high school Director who walked the columns and rows and individually corrected such problems.

As mentioned, the stiff "wooden soldier" bit isn't going to cut it, chops and stamina will be wiped out quickly. Yes, I recommend you have your cobbler double sole your military stye low quarters and if you don't want to wear such exactly as proscribed, you'll never march in my band. (Yes, you know I've now NO BAND, but I don't want to see you in any other with such non-compliance.)

3. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    I marched French horn (or those abominations they call marching French horns) when I was in high school. I had the range (I was on a Giardinelli C4 by my senior year screaming) and the endurance, but let me tell you, if I didn't get the marching down, I'd have never been able to use them. We marched the BIG Bb horns too.

Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Oh, and fundamentals.

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Dr. Baldwin told me when the guy that made it wanted Dr. Baldwin to try it before he released it... He tried it and thought it was good, but didn't know why we should spend the money on it when a regular pen or a piece of straw was good enough... That's what he told me of it anyway.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Based on the above report, IMO Dr. Baldwin overlooked more than 50% of the P.E.T.E. exercise and also the more important IMO, that part which straws and pens cannot do. I too carry coffee stirrer straws to augment the aperture exercise, but I'm not sticking dirty pens and pencils in my mouth or teaching such a habit to children.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Kayin, don't diss my Yamaha Mellophone in F as is in the trumpet marching configuration. It works fine for me and gives me near to that elusive French horn sound. I don't know of any military band worldwide that is crazy enough to shoulder baritones / euphoniums and yes even tubas and I don't perceive that such improves performance / appearance.

If you want to improve marching appearance, spend six weeks drilling without an instrument. For instrument sound, yes, it is practice, practice ad infinitum.

7. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    The Yamaha F horns are a lot easier. The big Bb monsters had a lot of tuning problems, too.

We were saying the same thing-marching fundamentals and playing fundamentals. If you want to march and play, gotta do both.

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think when he had the chance to test it, the system was probably much under developed than it is now... But can you explain what kind of exercises there are? Now I'm intrigued.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Look for a used or new Getzen 900 tilted bell trumpet (or any other tilted bell trumpet). This solves you angle problem and you don't have to go into contortions and screw up any of your form. I play a 900 t/b and because of the bracing, it is the brightest horn I have ever played. I think Getzen originally designed them that way for marching band. Maybe Brett can confirm or deny that info. Anyway, I love the horn. Very trumpety sounding. I've never used a bent mpc before so I can't really tell you if it works

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Agreed that the core is super important in playing while moving. Trunk twists and sit-ups were daily drills at practice. Eliminating the bounce does help quite a bit. The issue with the abs...I try not to use them when I play and that is the pushing I spoke of. A variation of the valsalva maneuver is what I believed caused this...blowing air against closed glottis. This pushing is something that began creeping into all of my playing (sitting, standing, marching) This was partly from over-blowing to compensate for being outside and partly from the position of my neck to reach the required angle.