Marching Band.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I am very sorry if this is the wrong category. I could not find any marching band forum website with many users. If you know any please inform me thank you.

Most of ya'll might have done marching band. I am a freshman starting to march for the first time. I got the basics of marching down. My main problem is having to get to my "dot" or place in the number of counts given for the set. For instance, I need to be on this side 2 of the 50 yard line, 4 steps inside the 45 yard line, blah blah blah do it all in 8 counts. Today at practice I was giving it my all to get to that dot. But somehow as the 8 counts went by, I was a few feet off, which is horrible. I asked the upperclassmen, they said they know what I am going through and you just have to bust your butt to get to the dot.

I wanted to get some opinions or advice from trumpetmaster people. Any tips or tricks on getting to a far dot?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just like anything else --- PRACTICE and REPETITION --- if you knew a secret, or if the upper classmen knew a secret ----- YOU would NOT have had to ask us!!! --- sorry my friend --- there are not shortcuts to perfection!!!!!

3. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Just out of curiosity, what is your starting and ending coordinates for that particular set? Tempo?

When it comes to drill, you'll have all kinds of stuff thrown at you. You could be taking 8-5 steps one set and jazz running to your next set. There's really no magic secret other then to just do it. Gauge how big your steps have to be and strive for that every time. A lot of freshman have trouble with larger moves and you'll notice it gets better as you get more experience.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It'll come with practice... just remember this...

The heal never toes the line.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Squat down a little bit, you'll be able to lengthen your stride and still maintain a good posture. I've had to do some crazy moves, near and far, while playing stuff (look up diamond cutter. We did that while playing one of the "big" moments in O Fortuna) and this has been the only effective way to do it. This is only if you march the same style I did.

I'm guessing you're core? I play and do a little teaching in Texas, where might you be located?

6. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Tempo's pretty fast. About 130. That's it feels like I have make those impossible Mario game jumps

7. ricecakes230

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Not sure what means yet. I'm in houston texas.(A town named cypress) CyFair High School.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yeah yeah yeah! Cy-Fair! My friend is a student teacher there still, I believe. But yeah, just a little squat, or just lower yourself (hard to explain without being there) and you should be able to reach.

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Ug....marching band. I did it for 5 years. Never was good at the marching part, just the band part. I liked competition, though, which is why I quit in college (I don't care for the football team one bit.) But, one thing I noticed in high school was that my backward marching steps were never as large as they should have been. Try taking bigger steps than comfortable.