Marching Season!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know... 'cause after me, they know they would never get a better man... so they head in the other direction. It's understandable. And in sticking to the thread.... they then march to the beat of another drummer.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    You guys used herald trumpets? Wow...must've sucked to bent one of those. That's a winner in my book. Worst I've seen (so far) is a baritone fall on their butt backwards marching in a show ^.^

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    like -- hey, isn't young Mark Kindy like studying, or going to college in FLORIDA???? I mean just my recollection of his life!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL -- and didn't he go into Nanotechnology Particle Physics or something INSTEAD of the original music teacher idea??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Oh, back to the thread -- no war stories here --- back in the High School days, we were primarily a concert band. However, we were in the same town as the somewhat famous DCI corps (SQUIRES) as they were fading out (late 70's, early 80 ish) -- we still had half the concert band who KNEW how to march. So for a couple of years in high School -- we did 4 or 5 parades!! a couple of HS band pageants each year. So this was just INTENSE, because half the band were well seasoned marchers, the rest of us were UNCOORDINATED. ((((but we concentrated hard, we "banded" together so to speak, and as I recall for a traditional concert band --- we took 2nd in numerous pageants in consecutive years --- and to our band director, with his "mixed bag of marchers" -- THAT WAS A WIN!!!! Especially since in the pageants, most HS had a 30 year + history of marching band.

NOW last year, and this year ---- I have the community band parades -- where a lot of us are OLD people -- 45+, just 5 parades a year, I play TROMBONE because they need me!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL last year, I held my own ------- THIS YEAR, I messed up the first parade, as they went out of sequence on the music, but hey after the 4th marching song, I thought to myself, this just doesn't sound right!!! --- I was a song behind, out of sequence.. ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- now a few weeks ago, we did our longest parade at I believe a little over a mile and a half. we had 30 of our 50+ band there, 2 trombones -- we(the trombones), and we(the whole band) was ON OUR GAME that day ----------------- sounded AWESOME!!!!! -- now that was fun

1 more parade this Saturday ----hope we do just as well!!! ------ have a great day!!!!

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    From a previous post of mine: "The only things I ever got out of marching band were increased endurance, increased control, greater projection, greater breadth of volume, better tone, and increased range, not to mention the steady company of a couple of majorettes. We made beautiful music together...."

BTW: I see your avatar has changed - shrugged off the tux, have you?

6. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Great decision. My marching band days were some of the very best of my life. Do it, enjoy every second of it, and cherish the memories forever. Four glorious summers and autumns of music and marching, making fun of woodwind players, and chasing color guard girls... It just doesn't get any better! I didn't continue on to DCI, but man, I wish I had.

Have a great time and post some fun stories here, so that we may live vicariously through you!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh but it does... ever wake up next to a color guard girl a' natural in Disney World? Yep it gets better. OK so I don't remember what happened, but add imagination, and it DOES get better.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I imagine paying college tuition these days, he had to sell of some of life's luxuries... First it was his Bach, then his tux... Next thing you know, he'll be working at a vet clinic where he can snack on dog treats for free!

9. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Haha G-Mon, I use the term "chasing" loosely, so feel free to interpret that one in any way you like! It sounds like you have some pretty interesting stories to share. "This one time, at band camp..."

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Do you have a cheapo horn for marching band? You really should have a cheap beater for marching...Also maintain a sense of humor, don't be scared to stuff objects inside the tuba...I know it's juvenile but every once in awhile it's good for a laugh.