marcus bonna cases

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tmann, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tmann

tmann New Friend

Jun 3, 2004
    new orleans, la.
    Greetings;
    can anyone share their opinion/ advice on the marcus bonna trumpet/flugel combo case?I would like to know about space/ size /durability etc.
    adios,
    Tracy

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
  3. tmann

tmann New Friend

Jun 3, 2004
    new orleans, la.
    thanks Jim,
    I have gone to the site, and also e-mailed Irvin about the cases, i just wondered if any members had one, and how they hold up with travel and do they have enough space for their individual needs.
    adios,
    T.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I don't have one, but their reputation is amazing. Long been the only case to have for French Horns. They have taken it out to other instruments. I don't sell the upper end cases like Walt Johnson, BAM, and MB. Irvin does an excellent job of that. I sell solid cases for all (since much of my clientele are students or excellent amateurs). Since Irvin is a professional brass player, he would have more insight. He has to carry his horns from gig to gig. Hopefully he will get back to you soon (he probably isn't like me sitting at the computer on Labor Day).

Jim

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And having bought my Torpedo Bag from Irvin I can speak for his honesty and "quality" as a vendor. If he tells you the MB is the way to go for your budget and needs, then you can bet it is.

6. SlideBone Ltd.

SlideBone Ltd. New Friend

Feb 15, 2004
    NYC
    MB Cases

Toots thank you for the kind words.

As for hard cases..... IMHO there a few highly crafted cases on the market.

Walt Johnson.... hard to get !!!!
    Torpedo Case. For single trumpet usage this case is superb. You can rest easily knowing your "ax" won't get damaged.
    I worked for the Long Island (NY) club date offices a couple of years ago.
    A few of us got there early and waited to enter the club.
    The trumpet player decided to sit down. He sat on his Torpedo Case.
    And nothing happed to his Conn Vintage One !!!!

Marcus Bonna Trumpet cases are similar to the Walt Johnson in that the body of the cases are made of fiberglass.

However the MB offers more...
    1. Fully modular. Interior can be modified by the user for any model trumpet/ flugel or picc
    2. Interior compartments for accessories and room to hold a mute
    3. Exterior comes either in Leather or Cordura
    4. Padded Backpack shoulder straps with swivel locks
    5. Handles
    6. Exterior pocket
    7. Heavy duty zippers.

Down side to the MB Cases...

There are 12 Cordura colors to choose. All are exquiste !!!!!!!!!
    Makes them all appealing.

3 choices of Leather and they are gorgeous too !!!

If this is the only negative thing about a case we all need help !!

MB cases are handcrafted of the highest quality materials.
    Cases are made to order in Brazil and eta @ 4 -5 weeks.

If I can be of some help to any trumpet, trombone or horn player please drop me an "e"

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    tmann,

Here is my four cents worth. I own the Torpedo case, a WJ quad trumpet case and the quad MB trumpet case. For carrying two or more horns either the WJ or the MB will do you fine, if you have conventional horns with less that 5 inch bells and with no weighted bottom caps. The MB case? It will take anything I've seen on today's market. Both quad cases are well made. I bought my WJ case used from an individual. It is five years old, but looks as new. My MB case is new. I bought the MB from Slidebone and I am very happy with the case as well as the service he provided.

As far as durability: my MB quad is in brown leather and is much too nice to abuse. It is down right pretty. My WJ? Now that case will take plenty of abuse if appearence and how it is made is any indication. If you are going to trust other people with your case with your horns on the inside, then I would go with the WJ. But, if you are going to go with carry-on luggage, then I would go with the MB. As I said, it is too nice to let it get damaged.

I value my trumpets too much to let either case get abused when my horns are on the inside and the cases are too expensive to purposely abuse them or to let them be abused. I can carry my five trumpets in the two cases. I would check the WJ case to the baggage compartment but I would carry-on the MB.

Buy both like did, then your itch will be scratched as to which one is really the best. Both are very nice and Slidebone can help you with either.

What you get with either case is top of the line protection. I confirm that the WJ is hard to get. My MB case was easy to order and took about five weeks to come in. Believe me the MB is well worth the wait.

Have fun deciding.

8. tmann

tmann New Friend

Jun 3, 2004
    new orleans, la.
    Thanks Dale.
    I'm sold! from the pix i saw on the site, it looks like a pretty sturdy case, i was considering a wiseman, but if i can get that type of quality from this case, with room options - Irvin gets the nod!
    you guys were very helpful, much thanks to you all.
    adios,
    T.