Marine Field Band info?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Nice, helpful post, aeterp.

2. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Just remember, you full-timers, how lucky you are!

Somehow you managed to escape your High School guidance counselor and do what you wanted. I'm jealous no matter how rigorous the lifestyle may be - you're doing what you love! I have a job.

I am a comeback player who does not miss a day thinking, with a faraway look in my eyes, "I could be at rehearsal right now not dealing with any of this BS", and not a day goes by I don't think about the day my parents changed my mind for me because the guidance counselor said that for me to become a professional musician would be a "waste of a perfectly good brain" and that I'd be 'so poor and destitute I'd be forced to teach in every spare moment'.

I wish I'd been long enough in the tooth to say, "...and your point?" but no, I acquiesced. Biggest mistake of my life. The path not taken in the first fork in the road.... lucky bastids :)

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Having a supportive family and friends makes all the difference! My mom is a wildlife artist, so when I told her I wanted to be a musician she said "Sure, why not?", and helped make it happen. The rest of the family was the same - didn't seem so weird with an artist already in the family. Other people, such as my High School principal, were not so supportive, so it really helped having my family, friends and private instructors behind me. It would've been really difficult, if not impossible to go it alone, especially without the support of my family for taking me to so many lessons, rehearsals, and concerts. I am grateful every day for their love and support!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    We're a bit off-topic but as long as we are . . .

I didn't ask anybody.
    I guess it was just so evident that no one bothered trying to dissuade me.

5. Marine Musician Midwest

Marine Musician Midwest New Friend

Nov 19, 2012
    Hi I am the Marine Corps Musician Placement Director for the Midwest and I am happy to answer all of your questions. I proctor all auditions and have been in the band for over 17 years. Reply to this thread, contact your local recruiter or message me on FB [Jason Knuckles]. Semper Fi

6. Marine Musician Midwest

Marine Musician Midwest New Friend

Nov 19, 2012
    I am the Marine Corps Musician placement director for the Midwest and would be happy to have an interview with you. I proctor all auditions and I can answer all questions you might have about our program. Please either respond to this thread, contact your local recruiter or message me on FB [Jason Knuckles]. Hope to hear from you soon. Semper Fi!