Mark B's Comeback Thread

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Sep 23, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Mark, you're on the right track and definitely doing the kinds of things that keep a person striving for that next thing, whether it's cleaning up the articulation a bit, working through a difficult passage you couldn't quite hit the week before, noticing that your tone is more open and full that it was before....all of that kind of stuff is the kind of intrinsic rewards that keeps that musician's fire burning.

The recording - man, I can't say enough about that. I must have listened to that little ditty I put together with multiple trumpet tracks and drums 50+ times today on my way too and from work! :D I was really stoked about how it turned out and as always, it forced a level of concentration and focus that brought my whole game up - no doubt it will do the same for you.

Not sure about that collaboration effort though - you just have to be sure that the other guy isn't some major yo-yo. :lol:

As for your teacher, he'll know in a few more months that you are in it to stay, and you could be doing some performances soon too. Once you take your solo act and join up with some other musicians, you'll be more hooked than ever!

Just keep on keepin' on, and keep us updated on your progress - inquiring minds want to know after all! :thumbsup:

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I just use my laptop. I downloaded Audacity (free) and originally used a cheapo lapel type mic. It didn't work very well, so I ordered a USB interface and a Shure microphone. They just came in today; I haven't even had time to open the box.

Honestly, I've only recorded a couple things but I'm pretty stoked to expand on what I've done.

Mark

3. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Wait.... I thought it was some kind of rule that musicians had to be major yo-yos! Did I miss a memo again?:dontknow:

That's what I figure, too. I'm thinking just showing up well prepared will go a long way toward putting his mind at ease where I'm concerned. I'm a little worried that if he thinks I'm losing my enthusiasm, he'll ease up on the gas with me. I need to reassure him so he'll keep it floored.

Thanks, Patrick. I shall do that! I don't have a lot of wisdom to share at this point, but I can shed a little light on what the comeback trail has been like for me. If it encourages somebody, great. If it gets somebody to take the plunge on their own comeback, better yet.

Mark

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Say, MVF,
    Your results on the valve cleaning sound impressive. There are many threads here regarding sticky valves and many attempts to resolve it. I have been working on the issue for awhile and tried several methods and concluded that for valves without any visible damage, cleaning is the solution. Could you describe in more detail exactly what you did in your process? Inquiring minds want to know.

5. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    The cleaning kit I got had a stiff double-ended brush with one side the right size to clean the valve bores (housing?) and the other sized to clean the passages in the valves and a plastic snake with a good sized brush on the end. I filled a plastic tub with lukewarm water and just a touch of Dawn dishwashing soap.

Then I took the horn apart and let it soak a bit (after pouring some of the water into the bell to make sure it got everywhere) while I cleaned and dried the valves. I ran the snake through all the passages (including between the valves) and rinsed some more with the soapy water. After that I rinsed everything with clean water and ran the brush through again (rinsing often) to make sure I got all the soap out. Dried everything as much as I could and left it out to finish drying. A few hours later put it all back together with some grease and oil and voila! Lightening valves! Judging from the water, it wasn't all that dirty, but I guess it doesn't take much.

If you'd like to send me one of your Recordings, I'd be glad to do a cleaning on it, and you could tell me if it made any difference! ;-)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. ComeBackKid

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That's interesting. It doesn't seem much different that what many have tried. One of the things that I have noticed is that if I remove the valve and the bottom caps and hold the instrument up and sight through the casing toward a bright light. The reflection of the light on the inside surface of the casing will reveal either a bright, shiny, reflective surface or a dull, cloudy surface. The dull surface is the one that seems to cause most of the sticking. I have not been able to make them shiny with just a brush and dish soap. Maybe you found a better brush. The think that I have found to work the best (so far) is to soak a rag in rubbing alcohol and vigorously pull it back and forth through the casing. That has resulting in a shiny surface and improved valve action.

How far away are you? Maybe we could get together and have a cleaning and playing session. I could bring several of my trumpets for comparison.

7. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    He's up this way, closer to me.

Mark

8. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Yep, Fontana. If they have time to see me, I may go to Kanstul tomorrow to check out a 990 and see how much to get my Special redone. I know that's not much notice, but somehow I doubt it will be my last trip. Or we could just figure out someplace to meet, but please keep in mind that I've only been back playing a couple of months- although I am thrilled with how it's going!

Did I really just say that?

9. ComeBackKid

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hmmm - maybe we can designate So Cal as "comeback central".

How did your excursion to Kanstul go? Did you do the plant tour, too? Is that your first time meeting Zig? Interesting guy - I hope he could do something for your Special. I've had him re-do a couple for me.

If you head back down his way, maybe we could meet there and try out some more of his, and my, trumpets and discuss valve cleaning methods.

10. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    I went and had a great time. I'll probably post in another thread so as not to hijack Mark's. Left my Special there and can't wait to see it when they're done! I'll definitely let you know when I'm headed back to pick it up.