Mark Gould on High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Monster Oil, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Monster Oil

Monster Oil Piano User

Sep 24, 2014
    https://youtu.be/WvFPoTlEVp0

What's he missing here? Seems to me like he's the type of player who's never really had to work on high playing, but he does have some interesting points. Thoughts?

Also, there's an f-bomb in this one, so fair warning...

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Love that angelic fanfare intro :D

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, those of us who struggle with range are not always understood by those to whom range comes easily. I wish he would clean up his language for the videos. Those of us who might like to share his comments with students dont feel comfortable doing so because of the language. In many parts of the county a teacher would be in trouble for using such with students.

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I didn't watch the whole video I stopped only at the angelic fanfare.....

5. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Seems like he's very reluctant to give advice on the subject since a player could hurt themselves by forcing it and he has no way to know what a players issue is without seeing them play, which makes sense. It is one of those elusive areas of playing where some people feel like they have tried everything with no progress and a select few players can scream all day and often seem bewildered that everyone else can't. If only people spent as much time working on their intonation and rhythm as they did on high notes.:roll:

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    From a true upper register master, Roger Ingram. Those of you who think they know how to play high need to listen to what he says about air usage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWE3BoSoGM
    I been at one of his clinics. The power he has in the extreme upper register must be heard in person to be believed. The sheer volume and size of the sound is remarkable. And he has been doing this professionally with big name performers such as Tom Jones since he was 18!
    Rich T.

7. Monster Oil

Monster Oil Piano User

Sep 24, 2014

Sorry for the language. We made a decision not to bleep him in any of his vids. We realize this limits our audience, but we also wanted to represent him accurately.

8. Monster Oil

Monster Oil Piano User

Sep 24, 2014
    We wanted something to match his angelic personality.

9. Monster Oil

Monster Oil Piano User

Sep 24, 2014
    Roger is a freak. But wasn't he always able to play high? I think Gould was too.

What's the best advice you've ever heard from somebody who actually learned how to play high?

10. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I got pretty much the same advice as Mr Mark gave in the video. Learn to play scales from below the stave at pianissimo without changing emboucher.

I think another part of the "high note game" is mentality. If you tell yourself high notes are hard, they're going to be hard; mentality is a key, just like with strength sports.