Marky Markowitz

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Whataguy!, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Wilmer, do you know what Marky Markowitz is doing these days? Is he still on the scene? I really liked his work on the old Burt Bacharach recordings.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Marky passed away in 1986. He had one of the nicest sounds around and a personality to match. We played all kinds of gigs at Madison Square Garden. He was a sweetheart of of person.
    Wilmer

3. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    Thanks!

Thanks for the info on Marky Markowitz, Wilmer. Those old Bacharach records were a big source of inspiration to me. According to the liner notes from a Bacharach anthology, Marky Markowitz was a regular. What a sound, what intonation, and what beautiful feeling! Superb.

4. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I knew I had done some recording with Marky, when it came to me. We worked together on a David Amram recording, "Subway Nights." Joe Wilder,Thad Jones, Marky and me are the trumpets. Joe plays a tune dedicated to 'Red' Allen. Beautiful! Dave made up the charts in the studio.
    Pepper Adams and Joe Henderson are on the date. I am on the album cover eating a donut :oops: I had almost forgotten about this on.
    Wilmer

5. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    You've played with Thad? He's one of my idols. What was he like in person?

6. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I lived at 11th and 7th in the early seventies, right across the street from the Village Vanguard.
    On many Monday nights, I would get a last minute call from one of the guys in the trumpet section to cover for a set or two. The band was incredible. Snooky had just left. Lew Soloff or Marvin Stamm were usually there on lead. Richard Williams, Jimmy Bossy, Steve Furtado or Cecil Bridgewater were the trumpets. Faddis appeared on the NYC scene about 1974 or 75. He was instantly put on the lead chair.

Thad played a lot of cornet at first, but switched to a Getzen flugel before he moved to Europe. I knew Thad all the way back to his days with Basie.
    Many nights we trudged up those six flights to my place for a nightcap.
    Thad was an under-appreciated player. Get his first album, if you can find it.
    Thad's arrangements are ground breaking.
    Thad was in the band that played "The Toast of the Town/ The Ed Sullivan Show." Bet you didn't know that :cool:
    Wilmer

7. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    My jazz band teacher who is retiring this year (Mike Carubia) used to sub at the Vanguard. He played with Gerry Mulligan in the 80's and then went to teaching. I learned so much this past year from getting to know him. He's the only real teacher I look toward as a friend. He idolizes Thad, and started a music publishing company ( Smart Chart Music ). We played some of his Thad arrangements which were simply stunning. Thad's music is great. I only own two of his albums (Consummation and Central Park North). If I'm not mistaken, his first album was Thad Jones Inc.?

Anyways, Mr. Carubia was the man who got me into jazz, and into playing my horn. Prior to that, I wasn't really into playing.

Here is a recording from our last concert. http://internaljazz.com/music/01 - Ward Melville Jazz Ensembles - Thad Jones - Low Down.mp3
    I'm not playing first trumpet in this one.

8. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The one I am thinking of is on Debut, Charles Mingus label. I heard it when I was in high school.......nothing like "Pop Goes The Weasel" :D
    Wilmer

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    "5 By Monk By 5"

Some spectacular Thad Jones with Monk. 1959, shows why Thad Jones was such an exceptional Jazz musician. His playing with Basie in the 50's is just as amazing, get the Mosaic Basie Clef/Verve 50's recordings and listen! New Testament Basie at it's best!!

10. tomba51

tomba51 New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    On many Monday nights, I would get a last minute call from one of the guys in the trumpet section to cover for a set or two. The band was incredible. Snooky had just left. Lew Soloff or Marvin Stamm were usually there on lead. Richard Williams, Jimmy Bossy, Steve Furtado or Cecil Bridgewater were the trumpets. Faddis appeared on the NYC scene about 1974 or 75. He was instantly put on the lead chair.

Jimmy Bossy and Steve Furtado. There's a couple of names I haven't heard in a while. Any idea what they're up to nowadays?

Tom Barreca