Martin back in business

Discussion in 'Horns' started by theo van kampen, Jun 1, 2018.

1. N1684T

N1684T Mezzo Forte User

Jun 28, 2016
    I am Getting the feathers......;)

2. adc

adc Mezzo Forte User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    lol

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't worry. Basset got rid of Henry Martin (who had been allowed to stay on as figurehead after the 1916sale) in 1923. It would be 15 years after the family was out if the business before there was a Committee to throw

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    That site is now an ugly pink placeholder...

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    ... as the Sun sets on Martin once again.

6. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    As someone who has played Martins almost my entire career, I'm loving my Schilke Handcraft.....

True Tone and rowuk like this.
  7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    The “Our Story” page explicitly says they are made by Kanstul.

ConnDirectorFan and True Tone like this.
  8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Have you been on the page recently, like since operagost posted #24 on June 5 above?

9. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    The site appears to be working better now. The horn may indeed be built by Kanstul, or that statement may align with the idea that JH Martin walked from Chicago to Elkhart in 1871 with his age 5 and younger kids to start a business that , oh wait, started in 1904 (instead of taking a train back to New York, which is what actually happened). It is too visually different from the 1603 to be a 1603, and certainly Kanstul is not going to make a horn for someone else that sells for less than when they sell it, so if it is a Kanstul, it is something that winds up being cheaper than the 1603 - yet is closer to that in design than any of the 3 generations of Committee.

And I still want to know why being connected to the Martin family would somehow add credibility to a Committee. . . . The only appropriate characteristic I can see is that the Martin businesses, from 1851 until 1916 (the time frame that Martins were involved) were consistently known for producing out-of-date designs, be they the Saxon style rotaries that GR and JH were trained in when they apprenticed in Dresden, or the earliest trumpets and cornets of the Martin BIC. While the qualities of a Committee, if this were a Committee (see observation about similarity above) are certainly in a different functionally-useful category than an (unusually) flimsy Saxon rotary's were in 1880, it is still an 80 year old design at this point. Other than that, I just see no fit between Martin family heritage and the Committee name.

True Tone and J. Jericho like this.
  10. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Yeah. Five minutes before I posted, actually.

ConnDirectorFan likes this.