Martin Committee #2 & gap sensitivity

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by mike ansberry, Dec 26, 2016.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I sort of accidentally put the mouthpiece I had cut down to match my Conn 40B in my '47 Committee. WOW! I liked the Committee, but for me it really wasn't special and I was thinking about selling it. A couple of friends have played it and loved it. One wanted to trade me his Schilke with 2 bells for it. With this cut down mouthpiece it really wails. I'm gonna take it to a big band rehearsal on Thursday night and to the NYE gig. (along with my trusty Red Rider Super Recording) Should be interesting.

I gotta say that I'm not seeing the whole dark sound thing. This trumpet can cut. It isn't nearly as dark as my Recording or my Eclipse MR. (wow am I spoiled)

2. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    The fact that you own and presumably play a natural trumpet tells me more about you than anything else, I see you as a very accomplished player with a very well developed embouchure and immense ability.

I always regard a mouthpiece as the principal contributor and creator of tone colour followed by the player and then the instrument in that order, so I am not too surprised that your experience of the tonal quality of the Committee differs from others.

But then I feel you are much more knowledgeable than I am. (For one thing you got more axes than I got and they are bigger too, yes size does matter)

As for gap sensitivity this is an unexplored area for me although it seems to be significant, I got gap sensitivity, my gap issue I have right now is the gap between my gear and yours, whoa thats some list you got.

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Hey, Bflatman. thanks for the kind words. Actually I'm a pretty mediocre trumpet player. But I have been very fortunate to accumulate some fine trumpets.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Trumpet playing WILL contribute to one's humility. Just when you think you're starting to get there...