Martin Committee Club

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Steve Davis, Jun 14, 2008.

1. bobmiller1969

bobmiller1969 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    I see that you're playing on the Monette Resonance. I was playing on the Classic for a couple of months, but upgraded to the Resonance about a month ago and love it! If you decide to get the Martin (You totally should!) don't be surprised if you find that you have some gap issues with the Monette. HUGE gap!!! I believe that the Committees were designed for either Heim or Schilke mouthpieces, which have a longer shank resulting in little or no gap. I actually ordered a Schilke 14 just to test my theory before I change anything on the horn. I tried the Harrelson gap/shim kit, but wan't able to close the gap completely. -Bob

2. chiefgearhead

chiefgearhead Pianissimo User

May 30, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Bob-good to know. I wondered about mouthpiece compatibility. I'm unclear as to how you've dealt with the problem so far.

TJ

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I found the best compatibility is with the Kanstul G2 which is an exact copy of the Heim. A real close second is the Olds3 mouthpiece. The copy was made on loan by Wallace Roney of the mouthpiece Miles Davis used with his Committee.

4. bobmiller1969

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    I'm guessing that on these older mouthpieces, your gap is smaller than if you used something more modern. I know the G2 is a modern copy, but I can only assume that they copied the shank as well. I had a Heim 1 and 2, but just couldn't work with the smaller diameter rim.

5. bobmiller1969

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    I actually just spoke with Ian at IMBRASS this evening. I'm sending it to him so he can remove the step completely. I'm going to check it out with the Schilke 14 when it arrives tomorrow to confirm my theory. I'll have to let you know how it all works out. So far, the way I've been dealing with it is by playing my 28B. The Committee is unplayable with such a large gap, at least for me. I've been discussing this in another thread as well.

6. bobmiller1969

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    I tried it with the Schilke 14, which arrived today. It confirmed that I need to remove the step completely. It's all boxed up and ready to go. I'll let you know how it turns out. (I actually like the Schilke mouthpiece. I might wind up keeping it.)

7. chiefgearhead

May 30, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Someone buy my Yamaha 734 so I can justify buying a Martin Committee! Tell your friends, tell your neighbors. This is truly a club you have to buy your way in to.

-tj

tobylou8 and bobmiller1969 like this.
  8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You could do what I did - sincerely intended to move another horn on about the time I bought my Committee but then never actually got around to it. At this stage a few years later it's water under the bridge I suppose and the urgency to sell something is gone.

--bumblebee

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. chiefgearhead

May 30, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    I would do...but I did that with the Olds Recording....and then the Miyashiro....and then the Adams. My wife is super cool, after all, I'm a guy with 7 motorcycles. But I don't want to push things.

-tj

bumblebee likes this.
  10. bobmiller1969

Dec 13, 2008
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    You don't have to justify it. Just rationalize it.

bumblebee likes this.