Martin Committee Club

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Steve Davis, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Brad Cottle

Brad Cottle New Friend

Oct 14, 2017
    Mesa AZ
    I purchased my prized HC exactly one year ago. My search actually started 16 months before that (fact checked myself and realized I had added 8 months to my story:)..I've been know to exaggerate stories sometimes)..and truth be told I had seen other HC committees come up during that time but they were really hammered....or its possible some decent ones came up and sold that I missed out on. Just last week there was one for auction on ebay..i wanted to bid on it at the end but i was out driving around and missed it...it sold for only $1200..i was bummed about missing it. It was in fairly rough shape and had some patchwork done to it...but $1200!? I would have still paid that for a hammered HC Committee.

nbhasin13 likes this.
  2. nbhasin13

nbhasin13 New Friend

Nov 1, 2016
    New York
    Brad - I love the enthusiasm but come on... you already have 3! Leave some for the rest of us! LOL
    In all seriousness though - have you considered getting a Non-HC Committee to expand your collection?

3. Brad Cottle

Brad Cottle New Friend

Oct 14, 2017
    Mesa AZ
    I used to own a Charlie Melk restored 1957 committee (first picture) Medium bore. It was immaculate. I found the resistance to be very tiring. I think it was a .453. It was a very smooth mellow horn I really liked it but then I discovered the Handcraft and the resistance was much more favorable..or lack of resistance I should say. I have an unusual transitional Leblanc MC (second and third pics) that has an ORIGINAL committee valve block vs. the Leblanc Valve block..its a .460..its very similar to that 1957 committee I had..I really like that horn.. I would REALLY love to get a LB Committee..JUST LIKE THE TWO YOU HAVE!.

1957 Committee.JPG Leblanc Transition 1.JPG Leblanc transition 2.JPG

Strobe and nbhasin13 like this.
  4. Strobe

Strobe Pianissimo User

Jul 5, 2016
    Solon, Ohio
    Cleaning off my screen after drooling over the handcrafts! : ) Just bought a 51 Deluxe Committee about a month ago. Had tried one a while back and it seemed bright so had written off Committee's thinking " what's the big deal". Big mistake and luckily I tried again. Was playing my Committee in my office with the lights off - can bend notes like no other trumpet I've ever tried. Decided to play taps. Backstory - my father offered me $100 if I could play taps perfectly in 6th grade. He is a WWII and Korean War veteran and it has a lot of meaning for him. I tried MANY times and about 2 years later with practice, some support of his friends, and just the right transition and vibrato he paid up. (think he just liked to hear it). Still remember that time. Well, fast forward to last week. Plaedy taps on the Committee and held true to tradition but bent into the notes and used the "smoky" Committee tone. Best taps I've ever played. (Heard Bjork do the Star Spangled Banner and thought I'd hate it but it was unique and amazing). Just a regular player, but do yourself a favor and try it. Simple tune, only 4 notes, but soulful like the Committee.

Brad Cottle likes this.
  5. Brad Cottle

Brad Cottle New Friend

Oct 14, 2017
    Mesa AZ
    Zman...I was wondering how your Taylor compares to your HC Committee? Would love your input thanks.

6. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hi Brad, The Taylor is a fantastic horn. If you want something with a full tone that is pretty much right on the pitch everytime it's a great option. If you are asking me which horn I play the most it would be the Handcraft Committee. I used to have a Harrelson Summit and picked the Handcraft over that too. Send me a PM if you're curious about anything I have in my Signature line. I have several early Large Bore horns and collect Martins in general.

Brad Cottle likes this.
  7. Brad Cottle

Brad Cottle New Friend

Oct 14, 2017
    Mesa AZ
    Hi Zman..i wasn't able to figure out how to PM you on this site..but the curiosity is too overwhelming. I want to know about your other three Handcraft's. I love large bore horns. Tell me about your Imperials. Also your Symphony Large Bore is one I've never heard of. Hey I recently got my hands on a .470 Taylor Chicago II in Gold brush..heavy..way nice..you were right about the pitch..dead on. But as expected my non-restored HC is still at the top. I wish I were good enough to do it justice.

8. gmcmurry

gmcmurry Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2007
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    I grew up playing an Olds Recording (which I still have). I built up a 2nd one so I wouldn't have to travel with my original horn. I never could get the 2nd one to play like the first. Go figure...

About 7 years ago, I started on the MC trail. As with the original member post on this topic, I think it had to do with Chris Botti.

I bought a few and then spend a bunch of $$ on my last one trying to get it right, but I never got the satisfaction I get playing the horn I have had for 50 years, my original 2 tone recording.

At least for me, I think the biggest reason is the valve placement. I am a big guy with big hands, now 65 years old. I don't think I will ever like playing with my hands so close to my face. The Olds Recording valves are about an inch further away from my face than my Martin... There is a name for that valve placement??

Other than that, It does play well. I don't touch it any longer and it will probably end up on Ebay at some point.

Greg

9. chiefgearhead

chiefgearhead New Friend

May 30, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Hi Greg,

I have a 1953 Olds Recording which I bought a few months back from TM Classifieds. It has captured my heart and soul for several reasons, but principally because of its sound.

It’s the horn I play almost exclusively now, replacing my old Benge.

I believe that the name for the valve placement is “balanced.”

Regards,
    The Chief Gearhead