Martin Committee Cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by mike ansberry, Sep 15, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Why is it not nearly as popular as the trumpet?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    IMHO, simply because if I'd not a trumpet. The cornet for jazz losses favor in the 1930's when Satchmo switched. The trumpet did like the guitar which replaced the banjo. I think the Martin Committee Cornets are a good buy!

3. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    +1

4. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    It is indeed, simply because it's a cornet. I find that my Committee cornet blends beautifully with the lead player's Committee trumpet. Both are fine horns and the cornets can, happily, be had for less than the trumpets (in my case, considerably less, not much more than a song, but that's another story). You'll find this is true pretty much across the board for trumpets vs. cornets no matter the vintage. The preference has gone to the brighter sound of the trumpet, except for the remaining bastion of the Brass Bands, which still favor the warmer cornet sound. I have two trumpets and two cornets and each have their niche that I use them for. You can view it as either a form of snobbery and discrimination, or a golden opportunity to have a great horn at a lower price.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Will be the 4th to say, "It's not a trumpet". It's declining popularity is why, and, I speculate here, that many cornets sound "trumpety". They are great for young players though and folks with small hands as most have a wide wrap. If someone only made them that looked like trumpets!!! ;-)

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Toby, Conn hid a cornet as a trumpet in the Connstellation. You have to research and find out how to tell the difference. ( location of pinky ring on the leadpipe ). I've just stuck to the horn that I started on ( a trumpet ). Some of my friends in band stuck to their cornets for the same reason I suppose. Obviously either a trumpet or cornet player could play either. There is/was a Committee cornet on eBay that looks great.....and a beautiful original case.

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    What he said, and an "A" on the leadpipe.

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    The Committee cornet went for $679. I would like that one even though dude had no idea where to measure the bore as he reported 0.531" with calipers. Then I must have a really large bore if I measure at the bell flare.

9. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    Armstrong switched to trumpet in 1927. The change over to trumpet had nothing to do with Armstrong, who reluctantly went to the trumpet because everyone he was working with was already playing the trumpet. When he was with Fletcher Henderson's band in 1925 his section mates were playing trumpet

He states very clearly he switched when he went to work with Erskine Tate's orchestra and that Tate felt he would blend better with the other trumpet player in the band. Photos of him in that band show him with a trumpet (a Buescher, if I'm not mistaken).

There's an absolutely non-factual, ridiculous piece of clap-trap on the web written by someone connected with the University of Edinburgh that tries to make the case that Armstrong was responsible for the musical world of brass players changing from cornet to trumpet. There were guys playing trumpet in New Orleans in 1915, when Louis was still in short pants and in the Waif's Home. Louis had NOTHING to do with brass players making the change from cornet to trumpet.

There were guitars used in jazz in New Orleans BEFORE the banjo. The banjo came into vogue in the early 1920s, and fell out of favor in the early 1930s.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I got a chance to play two Committees, an Old's Recording and a Committee Cornet, side by side. One of the Committees was an early 40s, the other a 50's Deluxe. I was really dissapointed in the color of both Committees. The Deluxe was actually darker but the 40's one had more loose slotting and felt more like a true Committee. The Recording actually sounded darker and was fabulous ( I know the guy still has it for sale by the way for $950 ) ... my wife was listening and said none of those horns sounded different than what I already owned. Then she heard the Cornet ... and said "That is the sound you are looking for". The cornet wasn't for sale though.
    So I would agree, they are a nice find. I think the value of the Committees really is in the lineage of the players who used them. All you need is one picture of Dizzy playing one in concert and you might make some money on it.