Martin Committee on ebay......

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Phatmon, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The horn seems to be in incredible shape.

$1200 to start. Hmmm .... anyone want to venture a final price guess.

Of course the mutes and a copy of El Capitan make the deal :wink:

Jim

3. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    just got home from work and am looking at this horn again. Does 1200 seem kind of high? I paid a little over 1200 for my Holton and for the longest time I have been looking for an older martin in great shape. I would go no higher than 1300 on this horn....But....since I have my holton I guess I am SOL. It pays to have patience when it comes to getting what you really want.....I am happy with what I got though. As far as the final bid price on this horn I am going to say 1,380. :wink:

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    It's claimed to be un-refinished yet the disparity between the mpcs and the trumpet are incredible. I've seen few mpcs as abused as those. Admittedly, the case and accessories look great, SO maybe the story is true.

A reconditioned large bore with a patch in the bell bow went earlier this week for over $2000. I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go for North of $1500. If it were a large bore, it'd hit the $2000 mark, I'd bet.

Dave

5. jazzalive

jazzalive New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    I'll tell you one thing. That's how you go about taking pictures of a horn for sell. I'd better go back and reevaluate my ebay ad! Those photos are "Zeus-like" in quality and detail.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    It really helps to have a top quality digital camera. I bought one a couple years ago for eBay stuff. A relatively inexpensive, but decent Kodak camera. Works great. But I got a new one for my wife (she loves to take pictures) that can focus at less than 1 inch. I could never take pictures of serial numbers before -- but with her camera, I can.

Jim

7. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    If it's been relacquered, it's a great job--the engraving looks very, very sharp. I'm guessing $1450 or $1500.