Martin Committee trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cbdmd, Jan 16, 2009.

1. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Can anyone tell me the playing characteristics of the the vintage Martin Committee MEDIUM bore trumpets? What's the blow like on these? Is it as open as a ML bore wayne bergeron model? I hear much about the large bore horns, but not much about the Medium bore. Does the medium bore have the "slippery slots" like the medium bore horns? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I really like medium-bored horns, it's a great balance between the different bore sizes. However, it does all come down to your own preference. I've played a M bore Committee, and I absolutely loved it.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi CB,
    Markie here, Literature suggests that the vintage Martin Committees with the serial #140,000 to 210,000 are the most sought after. This maybe gives a definition to the term vintage.
    How does it slot? I have a Committee Serial 185295 and I like it due to it not slotting well and it has a bit of a darker timbre to it.
    The blow is fine for a medium bore(0.451). However, I generally play an MF Horn which has a far larger bore so I'm possibly not the best judge on how it blows. I know it doesn't blow as free as my MF Horn. If you're getting ready to buy one, watch out for red rot. I'm lucky in that mine was free of this. But many people have been burned on Committee purchases thinking that the reddish dirt they see on the metal was just dirt and grime from all the years. Good Luck

4. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Hi, I have a medium bore and a large bore. Both are 1947 vintage and are close in sound.Of course the large bore plays slightly bigger.I find the biggest difference is the way they feel in your hands when you hold them. The large bore has a larger valve block.They are both great but I like the medium bores better. another one of committees Chris Botti autographed with a Sharpie. ------Gar

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    All I know is when I start messing around on mine, 20 minutes goes by like "THAT"
    Fun to play, hard to explain...

6. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    You guys are only feeding my need to have one.....thanks for the replys....keep 'em coming.

7. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Gary, do you find any decrease in range with the tighter medium bore when you compare it to the larger bore? It sounds like you wouldn't and there would just be much more volume ( bigger sound) with the larger bore? Is that right?
    Thanks!

8. Gary Garcia

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    yes, you are right it does has a bigger sound,slightly,but its easier for me to play higher notes with the medium bore. I have six comittees but I just gave one to my trumpet teacher last night ,1956--five now --I guess I like them alot, all 1940's. -----Gar

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    You sir,are a major horn pig! I know because I am one too.....:-)

Cool.......

10. Gary Garcia

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Mr. Mendez, You're my hero, I've read your posts for awhile now.----Gar