Martin Elkhart 8 size

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I have a Martin Elkhart 8 mouthpiece, (8 being the size).

Does anyone know what that is equivalent to in term of the "bach sizes"? Just to give me a better indication. I currently, play on a Bach 3c and i want to play on the Martin MP, but want to know what it is equivalent to in size terms.

Thanks

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Equivalent size in another make does not really matter, how it plays is what matters, is the cup larger or smaller, deeper or shallower than your 3C, is your tone better or worse, your high range easier? Play it for a couple of months then make the decision as to which one you prefer.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    well the cup is a tad smaller, it is deeper giving it a darker tone.

Is my tone better or worse? well im not sure, i do get a brighter and louder sound with the Bach 3C, the Martin does give a darker sound, but not the greatest at high register.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Play whichever fits your concept of your tone and let it develop with time.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    yer im not sure, they are very similar, i want the dark sound that i feel i get better with the martin, but when i play with the martin i also get a more "airy" sound which i don't like

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your question is like asking what color socks that you want to wear today.

Even if there was some chart, it would be useless because the SHAPE of the rim has more to do with the perceived size than the measured inner diameter. A gold plated mouthpiece also feels "bigger" than the same size in silver because there is less "grip" on the lips.

Because I would like the mouthpiece by the numbers myth to DIE, I think you should wear BLACK socks today.

I generally prefer a bit more brilliance in the tone. Then you don't have to play as loudly but still can be heard. I think that the darkness myth is based on not understanding what our sound does in real rooms for performance. Optimizing the bedroom sound is not very useful for that!