Martin Imperial

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I found a 1934-35 Martin Imperial. Haven't seen it so don't know the condition. I'm told it's rough/not terrible but plays well. Is there any value to this horn?

2. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Probably $100.

The "restoration guys" are gonna love you, if you have a spare Grand to drop on them.

Sell it, and move on to something worth-while.

Robert Rowe

3. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The guy who has it wants $125. That's what he paid at an auction. I'll probably pass on it unless someone else chimes in with more positive information. Thanks.

4. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hi, Ken (Trumpet1Ohio) --

I didn't mean to be brusk ... I have been this route myself, so I thought I should give you a little more insight --

Sometimes, one may gravitate toward a horn of this ilk, in the interest of restoring it -- usually an expensive proposition. Subsequent to restoring it, you probably would never recoup your investment. It might be an acceptable exercise if the horn held "sentimental value", or, if you had a similar horn in need of parts or components; at that point, the "donor horn" can be useful.

I hope my comments help you.
    Best of luck --

Robert Rowe

5. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I appreciate your follow up. I didn't take your comments as "brusk". No worries. I'm not going to mess around with it. I've got too many projects already. I'd just tick off my wife. :D

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    1934 Martin Imperial Handcrafted

If you are interested, I have a beautiful Martin extended cornet, ( the one that looks like a trumpet). It's major blemish is that the silver plate inside the bell has been partially scrubbed away. The balance of the silver plate on the horn is really quite good,except the hand hold spots. It plays wonderfully, the valve compression test by pulling the tuning slides produces gratifying loud pops. There are a very few extremely light,small pings,( not dents by any stretch). This is a silver plated horn in a very bad looking case which is surprisingly still sound. The case looks like heck, but, both latches work, minus any spring action, and the cases structural integrity is still good. I want $250.00, including shipping to the lower 48. I would also entertain the possibility of a trade for a very good silver upright Eb alto horn.

OLDLOU>>

7. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Guys: I have to differ w/you on this - I bought a Martin Imperial trumpet in mint condition and I don't really care what it is worth - it plays wonderful!!! Just for reference, I have been playing for 40+ years and have played and/or owned most trumpets on the market today. You can see my latest horn on the Harrelson web site (also hear me play there).

In sum, I am comparing the Martin with some pretty great horns and it holds up quite well.... :roll:

8. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I decided to buy the horn. The price is right at $125. I considered stripping and leaving it that way. What do think? Valves look ok...need lapped. Thanks for your opinion...makes me feel good about the decision. A couple questions for you. Do you know what the bore size is? Also, where did the Imperial fall in the Martin line? Was it considered a lower end or higher end horn?

Thanks again,
    Ken

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Martin Imperial trumpet

Prior to the advent of the Martin Commitee Model in about 1935 or 1936 the Imperial Handcrafted was the top of Martin's line. After that date the Imperial line became Martin's student grade horn. The date of manufacture can be determined on several websites by serial number. The Imperials were medium bore horns. This can be checked by pulling the second valve slide and measuring the inside diameter of the crook with a dial or digital caliper. I have one and love it. Mine is an extended cornet, made in 1934 which looks much like a trumpet, but, with an additional loop in the bellpipe, just after the exit from the first valve. The main tuning slide is located in this extra loop.
    I hope that you enjoy your horn as much as I have mine.

OLDLOU>>

10. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Best we can tell is that this is '34-'35 horn. Did they all have the reverse lead pipe? This one does.

I'm looking forward to getting it.

Ken