Marvel Mystery Oil for Pistons?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Rick Chartrand, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Guys

I am busking out in the streets, and have a problem that I posted earlier. It is extremely cold out (-10 F) and my pistons on my trumpet are freezing alot. The money's good so I wanna work through the winter. One guy said I should use Marvel Mystery Oil, so I looked it up on the www. Its a slick gas additive for cars and wont freeze till -100 F which is awesome I think. He says it works for him. So heres the question. I wanna use it on my horn which is a Martin Committee T3467, however I dont want to damage my Montel pistons in any way. Will this work?

Thoughts and input???

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    No!

It will eat the soft valve metal.

Try rubbing alcohol on your valves, just when you are in the cold.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    My thought would be if it is that cold out don't play your trumpet outside!

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That's my feeling..........If I am going to play out in the cold, they will have to cough up some major $$

Not worth it.

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Think about it -- if you are busking and you are playing outside, people might toss a bit more your way since you are making the effort in the cold.

I did marching band when it was that cold in Colorado way back in HS. :D and I had to pay a fee to do it.

Jim

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    OK, here's my take on the situation ....
    First, I should explain that I do some brass/metal work (I mostly do guitar work) --- I am not an expert. But, I have consulted "experts" regarding valve lubricants, and I have attended clinics and seminars put on by NAPBIRT ("Nat'l Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians"), where this very subject has come up. My wife is a graduate of Red Wing Technical College, where she studied band instrument repair, and, although she does not participate in this Forum (TrumpetMaster), I consult with her for guidance.

I would not use alcohol. Alcohol will strip-away any oil-film and the result is no lubricity.

I have in my hands, at this moment, a can of "Marvel's Mystery Oil" (it's a red & black small can, like "3-in-1" oil). We sometimes use it here in the shop, primarily as a substitute for "cracking oil" -- which is used to free stuck/frozen slides and valves. It probably would work for what you're looking for -- but -- if you can find it (I have some here in the shop), try "Marvel's Lubricating Oil" . The can says "for use on: electric motors, electric razors, firearms, machine tools, locks, musical instruments, phonographs, scientific instruments, surgical instruments, sewing machines, typewriters, etc., etc.".

Cautionary note: I have learned from the "experts" mentioned above, that petroleum-based valve-oils and lubricants will stain Monel pistons, and not necessarily "damage" them (pending further assessment). The "experts" have indicated that synthetic oils be used. I was surprised to learn "Mobil 1" fully synthetic automobile motor oil (light weight) was recommended (also, "Mobil 1 red" synthetic wheel-bearing grease for slides). I use "Mobil 1" fully synthetic motor oil in my vehichles, also. It's about $5 (US) per quart.
    The hard-to-find 0W-40 "European Car Formula" is in my Diesel work van, and it started right away this morning at 7-degrees F -- I don't need to use the electric engine-block heater any longer since switching to this stuff. The container says "pourable at -65 degrees F (-54 degrees C).
    Go ahead and try this ("Mobil 1"), especially the 0W-40 weight, if you can find it. I believe your problem will be solved.

Some "doubting Thomases" will be skeptical, I'm sure ... go ahead and "post" your thoughts. I was skeptical, also; but, it works.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

7. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey guys

Thanks for the input specially Rob :-) At least Ihave something to go on,and as for the guys who say buskingin the cold isnt worth it? Hows $100 for two hours of playing? And $500 a week extra pocket money? Thought so,thats why I do it :D

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

8. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Good for you, Rick !
    You have a lot of chutzpah (Yiddish for "balls"), to be out there in the cold. That's pretty cool (weak pun).
    By-the-way- ... what material (music) do you generally play ? And, do you do the whole tune all the way through, the way it's written, or just the recognizable melody lines ?

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

9. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Guys :-)

Hi Robert. Thanks and Ya I've gotta have something (Smiles). I generally play what I know and love which is Jazz tunes and solos by my favorite artists like Miles Davis, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn, Wynton Marsalis, George and Ira Gershwin even some Frank Sinatra. New York really rakes in positive $ on Fridays and Saturdays when the streets are packed. And as for if I play a whole tune through, or solos or just recognizable lines...I usually play the songs as written (in my style of course), but any solo I do is something I create on the spot. Sometimes if the night starts off slow I'll do bits and peaces of recognizable lines, and something new I've just recently been doing is doing some medleys the I've created of my fav songs. If I see a big bunch of guys walking in a group I'll play something really fast and high or if I see a group of pretty girls I'll go into something romantic. Different people like different stuff :-) I run into a lot of drunks on Friday and Saturday and usually end up doing a lot of requests. One very funny story that happened to me last weekend. This little drunk guy comes up to me and says ''Hey man can you play A- - and Titties?'' I was dumbfounded and asked him how it went. So he hums out this really rhythmic simple two chord song which I picket up immidiately. He starts screaming to all his buddies across the street ''Hey! this guy can play A- - and Titties!'' Before I knew it I had about 5 guys around me dumping tons of cash in my can LOL. Was funny. Hope that helps

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Mwahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its sad, but I am humming that song writting this (its a ridiculously simple song). :D

Just in case you get asked for this one, "Youse a ho" is a concert G to Concert C done like "G, G-C."

Van