Maryland Trumpet Day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ray Vega, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

The MTD was lots of fun. I got a chance to hear a great master by Tony Kadleck. Kadleck's master class was very informative. I've known Tony for 21 years and I was still taken away by the logical info that he shared with us. His performance with Alan Baylocks Orchestra was a total treat. Tony's flugal sound is one of the best that I've heard. As Kadleck stated in another thread, this band executed a set of world class Jazz. The ensemble sections were flawless and the solos were the real deal. This band can "SMOKE" a lot of bands that have more name recognition. I don't recall the lead player's name, but I'll just say that he delivered the goods. I was happy to see Kevin Burns (I believe that he played some lead as well), and soloists Tim Stanley and Alex Norris. The trumpets all played their butts off.
    I missed John Blount's session. I'm happy that I was able to hang a little with John when I got there. His new book by Colin Publications is right to the point and most important, is based on sound traditional brass playing concepts. I personally do not prescribe to trumpet methods that guarantee the world in a week.....but this is for another thread on another day.
    All of the venders were extremely pleasant and easy to work with. Most of the venders were folks that I had only read about but finally got a chance to meet...best of all, I didn't have to go and get earplugs.
    The folks at my master class were really engaging.....this is what I really enjoy most about doing master classes. Hopefully I can come back in the future and spend more time with young players.

The folks from NYTC brought out all the goodies. I commend Felix and crew for really taking the trumpet market to a new place.

Kudos to Tony D who hit it out of the park again.
    I hope to come back real soon.

Peace-RV

2. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Ray -- we enjoyed your clinic too. Hope to see you again!

Galen

3. bBullX

bBullX New Friend

Dec 10, 2007
    Douglas, Wy
    My dad went to that event as well and said he was in heaven! He brought home a horn from NYTC and it plays absolutely MARVELOUSLY. The next time he gets the chance I am deffinately flying out with him to join in on the fun. :-)

4. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Thank you all for the kind words. I feel fortunate to have people like Ray V, Tony K, and all of the clinicians at this event. They are not only great musicians but great people.

I have updated the wbesite with some pics (hopefully it worked). I am checking dates for next year and hope you can all join us again.

TD