Mass = HOOEY?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 21, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You are close. What I mean is that if you want to build a better trumpet, you start at what you want to come out of the bell and work backwards. We are all obsessed with sound. All of the other parameters can be implemented to make that sound also be in tune and easy to play with the required projection. You just have to know what you are doing.

Despite of the weight of a heavy trumpet, sometimes they have addd projection and that means less work when marching. I am sure that we will not see a DCI Corps with all Monette brass sections though.............. (it is a pretty cool thought though...)

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I think Monette would agree . . .:-)

Ah, yes . . . there´s always a catch somewhere . . . :cool:

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When I first started experimenting with added mass I was very skeptical. What I found was that it made all my horns easier to play. Better slotting, responce and easier control in all registers and at all dynamics. I use the Curry Mega Sleeve on my mpcs and botton valve caps. Don't know why but I get the best results when I use both the mpc weight and heavy bottom valve caps. It does seem to make my core sound denser without losing resonance. When I need a brighter sound I switch to one heavy valve cap and the Curry lead mpc weight. This is just me and I know some players who don't like them.