Master Class Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, Apr 29, 2015.

1. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello TM! I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on attempting to get Wynton Marsalis and a few members of JALC to put on a master class for my son's school. They will be in Cincinnati on July 11th and I haven't been able to find anything about a class going on in conjunction with the show.

My son's school is just over the river in Northern KY, about a 10 minute drive from Cincinnati. I have emailed the Info contact on his website and received no reply. Last night I emailed his booking agency, which I'm assuming will get some response. I also tried twitter but I doubt that will get any type of reply. Can anyone else think of any other way to attempt to get this setup?

If possible I'd like to get this setup and run it as a fundraiser and charge a nominal fee for the class. I know that the school did something similar with a Maynard Ferguson concert in the late 90's. I was that and it was REALLY a great show.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My neighbor use to date him. I'll email her to see if she still has contact with him. He is to play in my neighborhood in July at a new venue in Huber Heights called "The Rose". I was trying to get my neighbor to go with to hear him and invite him back to "the hood" for a Cook-out. Unfortunately, she will be at a family reunion then.

One option is to come up to Huber Heights, see him with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, and try to connect with him. ALSO, he typically calls on the owner of Gilly's to stop by for a visit. Jerry (the owner) then books our band to play in hopes the Wynton would come by to sit in. The last time we did this, many member of his band showed, but he decided to go back to the hotel to rest. I will update you as well if he is in contact with Jerry. ALSO I will try to connect with Jerry as I bet he knows how to get a hold of Wynton as well.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks Doc. Seems like you know everybody. I actually just got s message back from him on Twitter. He told me to email the info address on his website. I replied that already did that once but just did it again. So maybe there's some hope that this will work out.

Mark

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Cool, what HS? I live in cincinnati and am part of a community band with a lot of trumptd who might be interested. keep us posted

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    gmonady what's your neighbor's name? She must have some cool stories about him!

6. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm working to get the class setup at Highlands in Fort Thomas. From what I hear the schedule for the JALCO group is pretty tight but they are going to see if they can pull something off. If you know Highlands, it's almost certainly not for the music program. We have a great, but small, group of kids. They just get overshadowed by the gigantic Football program.

I'm hoping to get Wynton to work with our jazz band and show them that music is just as important as football. Not a commonly shared idea in this town, unfortunately.

I will certainly keep you in the loop. For what band do you play?

Mark

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Her name is LaTrelle Jackson. She just started working at the same University I work at as a Professor of Psychology, and as fate would have it, she lives just two houses down from me. I am attaching a pic she shared with me that she found when she was unpacking boxes when moving in:
    [​IMG]

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way cfkid, not to change trumpet players in mid-stream on you but Till Bronner, an amazing trumpet player and at the top of the charts for artists in Germany (which is truly amazing for a jazz musician to achieve) will be present for a rare visit to the United States. He is giving two concerts and a Master's Class on jazz improvisation at the International Trumpet Guild in Columbus. He is playing his own concert on Thursday the 28th in the evening and the workshop on the 30th at 1:30 PM. He gives another concert that same Saturday night as the workshop with another great trumpet player that I discovered on my trips to Chicago, Rob Porton. The concerts end with a jam session. I will definitely be bringing my horns to try to get into the jam sessions. Maybe you can get your son to one of these concerts and perhaps attend the workshop.

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks Doc. I was thinking about trying to get Michael up toe the ITG. It sounds like a great class and show. Thanks.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Who's that guy with LaTrelle?