Masterclass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DonB., Mar 1, 2005.

1. DonB.

DonB. New Friend

Feb 26, 2005
    Manny, as I said after your "class" (act), your masterclass last Saturday was by far the best I've ever attended....and thats over 50 years of playing (on and off). You are not only an excellent musician but one heck of a teacher. I learned a few things that day....at least you reinforced what I already knew. I was impressed with your emphasis on proper breathing and manipulation of the lungs and abdomen. So many young players don't get that kind of instruction from a pro as many do not take lessons from a pro. When I was a kid in H.S., it was mandatory to take private lessons at least once a week from a pro player/teacher. Of course in the 1940's a lesson for one hour cost $1.00!

But when you picked up your horn and played the first few measures of the Artunian concerto, that was it for me......the way Artunian should be played, with the proper volume, tonality and bravado. It was beautiful! Timofey would be jealous.

I've seen you many times at Orchestra Hall but this up-close event was very exciting, even for me. And I now know what a Monette sounds like from the end of the bell. A great sonorous tone.

Question.....the duet you did with Doc in 2003, Stephen Paulus' Concerto for Two Trumpets, was a recording made? I'd sure like to get a copy if its available. I missed that concert, unfortunately.

And, who carries the sheet music for the Ketting Intrada?

One thing more, are you familiar with Rafael Mendez's book "Prelude to Brass Playing"? He wrote it back in the late 1950s or early 1960s. I have a copy. Fischer sold it in New York but its been out of print for several years. Its all about what one must know about, and do, in order to play a brass wind instrument before one picks up the instrument. It is a wealth of information for the beginner and a good refresher for the advanced student as well.

Regards,

Don Olmsted
    Albertville, MN
    [email protected]

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Don,

There was no formal recording made of the Paulus, much to my chagrin. The only available "recording" would be one that was made off the air from KSJN or MPR.

The Ketting is published by Donemus of Amsterdam and easy to get here in the states.

Truly happy you got such a kick out of the class and that I got to meet you. I enjoyed it, too.

ML

3. DonB.

DonB. New Friend

Feb 26, 2005
    Thanks, Manny. You are a gentleman.

Don

4. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I second the motion!
    We are very fortunate that Manny chooses to live here in the Twin Cities, when he could be principal in Chicago, N.Y., L.A. or wherever.