Maurice André...RIP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Feb 26, 2012.

1. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
    This is certainly sad news for the trumpet community. Our condolences to his family. He will not be forgotten.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    R.I.P. God Bless his soul!

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Look at the transcription of the Le Canari Cadenza, and of course listen to it! Wich of todays classical trumpeters could have played that.... True Maurice "food". What a guy :-)

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    :-(

5. Rex

Rex New Friend

Aug 19, 2011
    Oh no. :( I had the pleasure of hearing him live at the University of New Mexico recital hall in 1970. He was there at the invitation of a personal friend, James Whitlow, UNM's long-time professor of brass. He did a phenomenal performance on half-a-dozen different trumpets over the course of an hour and a half, spanning much of the classical trumpet literature, and didn't miss a note. That's very sad news...

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    :-( Pretty much unknown as a jazz musician in the U.S. Maurice could play it all.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    sad day I really liked him and respected him

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
  9. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Got to see M.A. live in Lexington, KY in the early 1980's while I was in college at Eastern Kentucky U. All of the EKU trumpet players were in the front row (the UK players were in row 2 ... never could figure out how we got such favor) and it was the greatest trumpet concert experience of my life. He did not miss a single note all night long and when he played legato, it was like ice cream dripping from the bell. Fabulous sound, technique, musicality = the absolute total package! I walked away totally inspired about playing trumpet, while being overwhelmed by his total mastery of the horn. R.I.P.

local 357, I like that one, but also laugh at this video where M.A. adjusts his bell: http://youtu.be/skP_L6t6Ugo

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  10. JohnRGreen

JohnRGreen New Friend

Jan 11, 2012
    London, England