Maurice André...RIP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Feb 26, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In heaven every one is first chair.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    ...and everyone a section player.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ...and they all give the conductor hell.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I remember one concert in Munich. MA was playing together with Hedwig Bilgram on the organ, and that good lady kept pushing the speed, going faster, and faster, and faster... until MA couldn't keep up and with a playful gesture, put down his instrument, went a few steps away and made as if he were using the trumpet as a speed camera. And when Hedwig Bilgram stopped playing, MA announced to the audience he was fining her for speeding...

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    ...yet it sounds heavenly. In the other place, the masses of vilolas try to play heavenly, and their conductor gives them hell.

For some reason I can picture Maurice and Gabriel talking--not about mouthpieces (shop talk and boasting goes on in the other place, I suspect) but rather things like beauty, love and fine wines.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    For the last concert he played in Munich, I brought my trumpet case along, and had him autograph it... He very kindly wrote: "Amicalement, Maurice André" and the date. I then continued that tradition and by this time that case bears the signatures of Guy Touvron, Sergej Nakarjakov, Hakan Hardenberger, Wynton Marsalis, Jens Lindemann, Ron Romm, Fred Mills (and the rest of the classic Canadian Brass: David Ohanian, Gene Watts and Chuck Daellenbach). You can guess that case hasn't seen a trumpet for some years and is one of my prize possessions... I'm just waiting to add Alison Balsom and Tine Thing Helseth to the collection.
    Ludwig Güttler once saw the case and asked to be allowed to sign it, but was declined the honour...

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    :-(:oops:

8. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    RIP, Maurice. Fortunately, you have achieved a kind of immortality through your recordings.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    :-(

10. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    If there are conductors, can it be Heaven? Especially choral conductors!