Maurice Andre and the Michael Haydn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samdaman, Mar 11, 2009.

1. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok. I'm going out on a limb here. On Itunes, I recently purchased the Album "Master's of the Trumpet." Does anyone else have this Album? If so, what do you think of Maurice Andres high G in the First Movement?? I always thought of him as a perfectionist, but wow, for a recorded track- less then stellar. Definitely better then what I can do (by any stretch of the imagination), but for THE demigod of piccolo playing?

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Sam, I believe that it's a high concert A that you are referring to.

Maurice Andre recorded this piece twice. The other one is much better. I have them both, and on the other one he just nails it.

Make no mistake, Maurice Andre is/was one of the greatest trumpet soloists who ever lived. But he's human as well. There's a recording out there of him playing the Chaynes which is less than stellar as well. And I've seen a video of him playing the Hummel (albeit he's quite a bit older than his early recordings) where he clams quite a bit.

Try to find the other M. Haydn recording of his, it's definitely better.

LE

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The guy was human. Probably not his decision to produce that specific recording, but the publisher thought they could make money off his name anyway and let it go to print. Pick any musician that you consider a "perfectionist" and you'll hear them make mistakes if you listen to enough live performances. Go to YouTube and you'll probably find Vizzutti, Marsalis, Bergeron, etc, etc, missing a note at some point (gasp!).

Embrace the imperfections young man. They separate us from the little robots that play the horn...

4. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Louie! Thanks. Yah, it is an A (my bad). I'll keep an ear out for his other recording of it.

M.A. is definitely one of the trumpet greats. It was shocking the first time listening to it; I thought my computer "skipped." Maurice has always been and always will be one of the "Untouchable Players" in my mind when it came to Baroque music. I can hear Fitz's story of the one time that Maurice Andre came out, after his recital and apologized for a sub-par performance because of one slightly out of tune note.

Even with the god-like status in the trumpet world, it's a shock to know that he is still human. He also has his bad days, I guess. The fact is, it will take a lifetime of work till my best day is as good as his worst!! :-)

Take care, Louie and hope all is well!

5. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    Hi Sam and Louie,

I'll jump in here, as a fellow Penn-Stater (BA 1985) and Maurice André fan. I'll second Louie's recommendation of the Michael Haydn with the Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra (EMI) over the recording with Munich Chamber Orchestra (DG) -- for the high A in the first movement, and for his octave-up passage in the second movement. Both are worth checking out for his cadenzas in the second movement -- they are different.

The EMI recording is released as part of a 2-disc set simply called "Trumpet Concertos" (see below) that includes other performances worth having (a fine Brandenburg 2 and my favorite of Maurice's recordings of the Marcello -- what a second movement!).

Trumpet_Concertos.jpg

-Tom

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Samdaman,
    in these days of technical perfection, many are critical of anything not 120% polished. It is rather proof to me that Maurice André stood behind his performance and did not feel the need to have another take to fake the truth. The generation of trumpet players from back then had the backbone to let essentially recorded live performances be the lasting memories. I can really appreciate that dedication to the truth

The A may be the most difficult note in the Michael Haydn, but it is not one of the musically decisive notes in that piece.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  7. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Thanks for the post Robin...well spoken truth.

Dambly, that's the one...thanks for posting it. All of my CD's are imported into iTunes now, and I was too lazy to wade through them to see which one it was...THANKS!

LE