Maurice Andre as a horn player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Nov 15, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Does anyone know much about Maurice Andre as a horn - by this I mean REAL horn - player? What years was he active as a horn player and what did he record?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  3. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Thank you but that gives information about him as a trumpet player not a (French) horn player. Apparently he either recorded either/both Brandenburg no.1 and no. 2 on (French) horn.

4. dambly

dambly Pianissimo User

Sep 7, 2005
    In a discussion I had with him at a master class in 2002, Maurice Andre confirmed that he did indeed play French horn on Brandenburg 1 for the Jean Francois Paillard set of 6 Brandenburgs. He played trumpet (undoubtedly a Selmer piccolo) on the Brandenburg 2 in the same set.

He didn't mention any other recordings of him playing French horn.

How many brass players can lay claim to both horn and trumpet credits on the same set of recordings of the Brandenburgs?

(Barry Tuckwell recorded the Brandenburg 2 on horn with the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Neville Mariner conducting, in the '70s. This is a recording worth seeking out, IMHO.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    dambly,

I took the liberty of using part of your post in my Andre recording database. It is this item:

Maurice André - records

Regards,

Ole

6. BobButch

BobButch New Friend

Feb 13, 2008
    Prince George, BC. Canada
  7. bulldog

bulldog Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Well I don't know of any others, but did you know that David Guerrier, who the Maurice Andre competition at the age of 16, is the principal French Horn in the French National Orchestra? I'm told he frequently perfroms trumpet concerti on the first half of a program and then assumes his chair as principal horn for a monster 2nd half.

A French colleague of mine who knows him has also told me that Guerrier is also adept at the trombone and would one day like to perform the Hindemith Sonatas for horn, trumpet and trombone all in one concert.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

French horn is so cool. I swear, someday I'll have one.

9. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I got one for my christmas.

I did actually start as a horn player and played it from the ages of 10 to 14.

I am about to make my debut playing 4th horn with a local orchestra in all the pieces they play that have no trumpet parts.

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm a trumpet player that is engaged to a wonderful, beautiful girl that plays french horn... what more could I ask for?? :D