MAW valves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Oct 14, 2014.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Jon,

Yes, we were lucky to have them available at the Aussie Trumpet Muster, and those that were there got a chance to have a blow.

Kühnl & Hoyer “Spirit†MAW valves Bb Trumpet - The Music Place
    TEMBY trumpets have them in stock, The valves are designed for a free open blow feel, and do play well - looks like a surgeon with a laser scalpel went to work on them - nice to see some innovation.

For once I can say that Melbourne does have a good place to go try some very different horns - TEMBY Trumpets at the Music Place.
    Melbourne Store

I recently had a chance to play some very good gear that David was building - a diamond frosted bell, and a Cryoline treated bell.
    Maybe David Temby will chime in with more info and details.

Jon, if you can, have a blow of them - maybe they will not compare with your Monette, but certainly are not a bad set of valves.
    Cheers
    Peter

rettepnoj likes this.
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Do you put these valves in your old casing? or do you have to install a new valve block on your horn?

I see a LOT of bent pistons at work. The lack of rigidity in the middle of those pistons seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

4. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You have to get them fitted to to the original casings, and as I understand, you can use the original valves as well.

750$ for a set of three in 2012.

5. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Thanks for the input :-) I have no intention to buy one, but I like new thinking, and I would like to try one side by side eith original valves.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tried them, couldn't say that anything was better or worse, just a bit different (probably more due to a difference in the mass of the valve). I have the stance that trumpets work BECAUSE of the imperfections of the bore. Every attempt that I have tried to make things "smoother" has resulted in a horn that is HARDER to play and tone that is harder to modulate.

A trumpet is the sum of all of the parameters. The real artisan knows how to breathe life into the designs.

The bullshit in the ad:
    1) smoothing the valves out "improves response"
    2) smoothing the valves out makes them more like rotary valves.

The difference in a rotary valve is the short throw and because the addition/subtraction of tubes takes only about half of a stroke instead of 2/3rds like with pistons. The ballusters on piston valves make a HUGE difference in the tone. The short leadpipe on a rotary is significant for the articulation and legato behaviour. I have played rotaries with long leadpipes - proportioned like piston trumpets. They are much closer that many would care to admit!

7. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    People labor under the misapprehension that when blown, air travels through the trumpet and comes out the bell and that's what makes the sound.
    You couldn't extinguish a candle with the air that comes out of the bell. Blowing a trumpet sets the air inside it into motion in an organized way made possible by the design of the instrument and the varying lengths of the trumpet tubing via the valves.