maximum amount of time to practice trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, May 8, 2011.

1. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    I mean if you play violin or piano you can study a whole lot everyday and you won't get hurted or anything but as a trumpeter I don't know. But I do know that trumpeters cannot practice as much as a pianist, or string players. (I've been playin violin for 4 years and I have just started trumpet.):-)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Not entirely true... Any single motion or collection of movements can result in repetitive strain injury.

So for any instrument one needs to use common sense, build up stamina by employing intervals of rest between shorter practice sessions, like body builders do (they don't lift weights for 12 hours straight).

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    The trick is to break up practice sessions. Even pianist break up there practice into segments simply because it of concentration and human stuff(lol). Plus after a month of playing trumpet don't expect to be able to practice 2 hours straight you have to build up to it and practice EVERYDAY.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it takes time to build up your lip/face muscles -- and don't forget to play and rest, while doing this. For example play 3 minutes - then rest the lips for 3 minutes -- you will get it, but it takes time - that's all.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It takes time to become proficient on the trumpet just like it does on the violin. No one is going to be a great player in a month.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The maximum time required is a lifetime!

The above posts regarding pacing can help, though.

Have fun!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes it does take a life time to continue to progress but the magic number it takes to achieve greatness and proficiency is 10,000 hours. After that time, we simply work to progress.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are so many different things to practice. I could imagine 8-10 hours per day as possible. The problem is finding a trumpet player with the discipline to not overdo it and waste the face.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've put in many 8-10 hour days (and longer) of guitar playing over the years without ever suffering any ill effects from it. You can only do this after your fretting muscles and pads (pads on your fretting fingertips) are well in place, and a light touch on fretting is especially helpful. With a light approach to the trumpet, without a lot of pressure, and with breaks, that seems pretty doable (8-10 hour days). You'd really have to take care of your face though, as I think fingers are a lot more durable than lips and tiny facial muscles.

Turtle

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I too worry about this. The group of muscles involved, the force of heavy metal against them, and the amount of vibration energy required to generate the physics behind the sound is very demanding. Most demanding I would say of any other instrument type. I am including trombone, French horn, tuba players etc in this category). 8-10 hours a day really sets up the risk for major "waste the face" damage.