maximum amount of time to practice trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, May 8, 2011.

1. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    How do you know if you are overdoing it?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    pain!!:-)

3. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    OK good. Not overdoing it then. I usually stop when the higher notes that I can normally play start to crack/fail or require extra pressure.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a good rule of thumb. Nothing good can happen after fatigue sets in.:thumbsup:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pain is a good sign, but it is a later sign. This means advanced damage has happened. Loosing accuracy, control is earlier. Muscle is muscle, and consistance of performance falls off before pain sets in. It is at this time that well trained athelets start warming down. Why is this such a hard concept to get accross to trumpet players? Muscle is muscle and it responds as such.

6. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Do you know how awesome it would be to have that kind of time! :) Lottery here I come! lol

7. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Even on the piano you can get repetitive stress injuries and carpal tunnel. Cool podcast episode on playing and pain. NACOcast episode 59. Violinist, oboist, and cellist I think NACOcast: Classical music podcast with Chris Millard - Download free podcast episodes by National Arts Centre Orchestra on iTunes.

I'm a new player and I play, rest, play, rest. I actually set a rest timer between my exercises to ensure I do that. I've found that if I don't get enough rest things are actually harder for me the next day. I liked that body builder analogy. How do I know I'm getting tired? First my accuracy goes, then my range. Things feel harder and forced. Things I want to pay attention to long before pain.

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    ROFL :play: I play until the beer is gone. JK. I had to practice 4 hours a day minimum when I was in the Coast Guard Band. I was just a teenager then and could stay up all night. Every few months I had to go to the base dentist and have my teeth filed down on the tips because they cut into my lips. I agree with short practice. Like something that has meaning to you and has a definite endpoint ( like a hard passage or a sweet balad or fav lick or to master a finesse you like ) then reward yourself with a 15 to 20 minute break.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Did your teeth keep sharpening themselves? I am surprised any dentist would buy into that scenario. Once filed should be enough unless you have some gnawing rodent as an ancestor (Beavers' teeth grow until they die, and they must gnaw to keep them from getting longer or they will grow right into the other jaw.)

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AWESOME - I am a quarter way to the 10,000 --- 5 1/2 more years and I will be proficient at this trumpet thing!!! AWESOME