maximum amount of time to practice trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, May 8, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm an advocate of 20 minutes practice playing, 20 minutes resting, 20 minutes practice playing in one hour sessions then with minimum of 2 hour break between sessions possibly 3 sessions every day, the alternative being that the 3rd session is performance. Yes, somedays I would just play songs I know just to relax and enjoy.
    Yet, I realize when I soon can again can put a horn to my lips, that it will benefit me greatly to focus on practice, practice, practice in an effort to regain my capability and proficiency, again a start over at the beginning just as though initially looking at the instruments in the store and wishing I could play them.

2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I'll agree with Rowuk here, resting properly is really important. Admittedly if I'm making progress on something I want to just keep playing until I get it right, and I still make that mistake consciously sometimes. But I always pay for it, and my chops ALWAYS feel busted after doing it. Then I have to do a light day the next day to make up for the bad way I treated my chops the day before so really, in terms of practice time, I'm actually losing proper practice in favor of forced, tired practice. It's not a smart move. I'm impatient by nature. I went to a lesson a couple of weeks ago where I had practiced 5 hours straight with a few 10 minute breaks in between the day before, and 3 hours the two days before that. We were then doing some range-building exercises and I was having trouble getting a G above the staff to sound full, when my normal strong range is up to B-flat above the staff. My teacher asked me what I thought was going on, I told him about my practice schedule the last couple of days and he told me I was really not doing myself any favors by drilling that hard. He made me put the horn away and not touch it for the rest of the day, then the next day, he wanted me to only do pedal tones and long tones. My chops recovered of course, but it was a hard lesson to learn. I think as musicians we have a fire to chase after perfection, especially if it's a "good day". We just want to keep going so we don't pay as much attention to the physical requirements of the trumpet. Somewhere there is a good balance. Myself, I'm still struggling to find it, but I will one day. And when that happens, watch out is all I can say.

3. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    My dad told me about this rule. It's in a book right? Do you remember the name of that book? I'd like to read it......

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    All the "magic" hours are useless if one cannot learn to play musically and there is also such a thing as innate talent.
    I would be willing to bet there are more than a few folks on this site who have played as many hours as say, a Phil Smith, a Wayne Bergeron, an Allen Vizzutti, a Chris Martin, a Patrick Hession, etc. but you are not as accomplished as those players are. Keep in mind that all of these mentioned players were already at the top of the game in their 20s and have expanded their abilities with experience.
    Why aren't you and I as good as they are?
    You and I don't have what it REALLY takes. Innate talent to play more than just the notes on the page or you have the musicality, but lack something in technique. To play both technically and musically must be in your make-up. Yes, you can become a proficient player (on any instrument) with sufficient practice and, yes, you can become a more musical player, but you have to make certain you LISTEN and at least try to emulate the music of the great players.
    I posted a new topic regarding an interview with Timofei Dokschitzer and I'm rather certain some of you "experts" will not like what he had to say. Especially the point he makes about years of practice yet cannot play musically.
    Yes, there is some antagonistic wording in this post, but I am sick to death of all the talk about technique, high range, equipment, and what-not, yet there is little discussion of how one can become a better musician.
    Always include time to listen to great performers on all instruments and great singers of all genres to help you become the best you can be.
    Rich T.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I couldn't agree with you more. That being said, I know of a lot of grandmothers that go home after a concert with their grandchildren that are as happy as I am after listening to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The key is to give YOUR personal 100% to YOUR audience. Then absolute qualities are secondary. That is the building block for the next step.

I will also offer that absolute playing qualities and time also are not the primary factors. All of those monster players grew up with OPPORTUNITIES that lead to bigger and better OPPORTUNITIES. A little bit of luck in life also is necessary. I went to the same music school at as Al Vizzutti. I probably also practiced as much. I have had a lot of great opportunities in life, but still am not anywhere near as good. Rich, you hit the nail on the head.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yep! Yep! Yep! Always somebody .... prettier :lol: all good if jealously doesn't eat at you - be the best you can be, but do it for you.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    There is a general misconception by the average listener that musicianship is somehow a gift. Now don't get me wrong, I know we have people who are but haven't you ever had someone come up to you and say "wow, you are so gifted"... it's as if you justed picked up the trumpet and these things just pop out. They see the performances but not the hours of practice. The gifted ones seem to learn things in less time.What might take some of us a month their body grasp in a week. You stack a few years of that together and you can see how you could be years behind a master. It is a whole lot easier to be musical when you aren't struggling over notes and phrases. That's one of the reasons I always tried to choose things I knew I could play, albiet with a little work.
    This really does play into the intonation thread. Listening to the music... feeling the horn ... yeah that's why we play this instrument.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the answer for me is - YES. A few months back, I played Amazing Grace in church. Needless to say the highest note is like a D in the staff, so nothing spectacular about playing the song. I put some vibrato in some notes, and a few "tasteful" grace notes in the song. And it was the "regular" musicality of me playing the song --- but no less than 6 people from the congregation came to me afterwards and said more or less ---
    Wow, Ken your trumpet playing is a gift, it touched my heart, your trumpet playing speaks - it has a voice!!!!!
    so I guess 1 song in my life was/is a success!!!!!!!!!!! (AND I never mentioned the 2000 hrs + of practice time just for 1 song)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes it's a great book called "Your Brain on Music", I've read it and has such fresh theories about sound, rhythm, etc. Check it out, it is truly worth it!

YourBrainOnMusic.com

10. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    I heard Charlie Schlueter speak a while back and he told us that he never got tired. He said that he never knew trumpet players were SUPPOSED to get tired!
    Just play with as little pressure as possible.