Maximum effort, minimum satisfaction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Tonight at band i had a moment of feeling a certain amount of sympathy towards professional musicians. One of the pieces i was playing needed maximum effort producing minimum personal satisfaction. The music consisted of a 2/12 pages of semiquavers at 168+ in the middle -high registers; seriously bloody difficult. This got me thinking, imagine being payed to play something that requires this amount of effort week in week out without enjoying the music.
    Has anyone ever found themselves in this situation?
    What was the piece that you disliked?

The piece i played tonight was a cheesy new one for brass band called Vitae Aeternum. It's a classic example of British Brass Band music which bullies the listener into submission with realms of notes. Sadly for all the effort, it has no worthwhile musical outcome or expression. Give me Spiegel im Spiegel (Arvo Part) any day; few sounds with more consideration and value.

Cheers

B.U.M.

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I hear ya' Bloomin...

Though I am nowhere close to being professional, I have occasionally been in the same situation as you; playing music I had no interest in.

My son is actually pursuing a music performance degree, and I've emphasized to him that when you're getting paid to play, you have to play what the audience wants to hear, not necessarily what you want to play. But every job has it's tedious times.

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    On a similar note, for many years I played in a local big band that played at the boxing Hall of Fame (Canestota, NY) induction ceremony. Every year we played the theme from "Rocky" about a thousand times. Talk about tedious! The things that you do for money!

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    LOL

In the '80s I played guitar in a band that did wedding receptions. How many times can you play New York, New York or Mack the Knife?????

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    It could be worse old lips, in England it is a statutory requirement for a covers wedding band to flatulate Robbie Williams Angles (yes i have spelt it wrong grrrrr).

6. DavidLarson

DavidLarson New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    North Vancouver, Canada
    You must have imagination. Humans feel that they can only do so much. THe musician knows that each time must be his best, even if it is the 1,098 time through the piece. The listener is probably only on his first time, and he wants to feel it for real, not as a chewed through boring 1,000 repetition. That is why musicians keep sane- they must be so creative, even under poor conditions. ( NO, I have not visited my shrink lately, sorry)

7. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Being a pro, involves being an actor.
    Did Mickey Rouke like 9 1/2 weeks film ??? I'm sure he loves it !!!
    Did Javier Bardem like the movie "no country for old men" ??? Well, not for the hairderssing.
    But all they did great jobs. Nobody could say if they enjoyed when filming, but apparently they did.
    That's the true job of a pro.

8. Jim Kot

Jim Kot New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    Prudenville, Mi.
    As a professional or someone who is being paid for their serviece you must remember that you are being paid for a job and it doesn't matter if you like the music or not. You have to have a professional atttude and do your best OR you won't get hired again. Word does get around SO play the show the best you can or you won't get a call back again..Play Proud Mary for the 5th time that night and LIKE it!!!!!!!!

9. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    Playing the CIRCUS comes to mind. 3 shows a day in 100F plus Big Tent, plus the Elephants sometimes went wild if I got adventurous in my solo for Children of Sanchez (it was the trainer's favorite song, anybody ever worked for Tarzan Zerbini?) Good thing I got to see my entire country(Canada) coast to coast. That was the soul saviour!

10. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to play Italian Feasts all over the NY, NJ area in the summers a few years ago. sometimes we did 3 or 4 in weekend. It involves a lot of walking in very hot weather. We sometimes played some very musical Symphonic stye marches out of very old books withe tears and corners ripped off. Some of them had the ink washed out of sections from the rain! We also played Italian pop tunes from over the yeers. We played Mama about 10 to 20 times in a 4 hour procession. Needless to say it's no longer on my hit parade!!
    Bob