maybe buying a new horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, May 15, 2004.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    ok, heres the deal, Ive been playing on a ML 37 for about 4 years, but about a year and half ago I bought a .470 callet (really free blowing) I played on the callet more than the bach since then and have grown accustomed to the larger bore and I really like it. Now I go to play the bach and I find it to be very restricting and I make a lot more mistakes on it than I do on the callet (missing notes, losing tone on the dynamic extremes the whole shaband) is side by side tests I always play better on the freeblowing callet. ok so heres the deal, I only use the bach for classical and large symphony groups. so heres the deal, I want the bach sound, possibly darker than the average 37 since I already have a very bright callet Id like to cover both extremes. but I want free blowing. so darker than average but not sheet bracing dark, classical bach sound and free blowing, hopefully comparable to a .470 callet. It may not have to be as free blowing as the callet since that would be hard to match, but Id like something to make switching a little easier. thanks for any imput.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Get in touch with Bruce Lee and check out the Eclipse red bells. I told Leigh and Noel I wanted "Bach sound" with "Schilke openness". I got what I asked for.

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    could I borrow $3000?
    haha, yeah Im looking at a low budget, Ive got may fairly new good condition strad for trade, so maybe about $900 there, and about $500 max of my own money to throw in

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Check out Dillon Music, used Bach's including a LB at 1000.00. I bought Mel Broiles LB Benge from them and it's exceptional.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    yeah, I check the dillons page all the time, I love the store theyre excellent. does anybody know if bach makes a LB LR heavy wall 37? or maybe even a 43? Im also looking into the 25-O pipe.

6. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I would recommend you look at the kanstuls. They will give you a sound similar to bach yet superior. they are also very free blowing and slot very well. ofcourse, your callet is manufactured by kanstul....but you should check out the sig line. The 1500B is amazing. The 1503 is equally great. If you want dark....maybe the 1500 with the copper bell. I haven't played the 1500 so I can't give a definite tho.

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

What about keeping your eyes peeled for a second hand Wild Thing?

Regards

Trevor

PS If you like your Stad have you thought about a mouthpiece change? Something with a bigger throat/backbore to open the blow and darken the sound. As a suggestion a 3 series GR Haefner seeing that you use a Bach 3c? Just a thought.

8. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Some years ago I rebuilt a Bach 37/ML by putting on a 43LR pipe. I use a 24 throat on a B cup and Schmidt backbore, this becomes a very open yet controlable set up. Most of my legit playing is done from this horn/MP. For big volume playing the LB Bach makes things very easy, but the ML/43LR can really roar if you need it to, and the controled demands are better.

Reeves valve align for all the overtones in the sound, Stomvi water keys on because I like them. Cambrass did the work.

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    A lot of good ideas so far, I will look into all of them. thanks

oh, I have done the whole mouthpiece expirentation, I just dont feel enough difference in the mouthpiece to make it worthwhile, plues I really feel I play my best on the bach 3c. thanks for the imput though, it is greatly appriciated.