Maybe the dumbest thing I've ever done??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachfella, Feb 24, 2012.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm still kicking myself for this, more than 37 years later....

Just after my parents got me my Bach for Christmas (I'm still playing it--great horn!!), one of my cousins, who lives in California and was working for Olds at the time, offered to make me a horn. Instead of doing the right thing, which would have been to gratefully accept his offer, I channeled my inner John Cleese from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" and told him "I already got one". I could have had another great horn, and I passed it up!!!! Anybody else ever done anything so dumb?? (If not, make something up, just so I don't feel so bad).:-(

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Don't kick yourself. You'll never know if it would have been good or not - you just don't really know because it was never made. Someone can correct me if wrong, but I don't think Zig Kanstul was there at Olds during that time. I believe he was at Benge turning out super horns.
    Be thankful for the one that you have and enjoy playing. What can be worse is the one you actually had and let get away.
    RT

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    For me: (Let get away)
    Calicchio
    Selmer K-Mod 25
    Courtois Balanced Model
    Leblanc Herriott
    Getzen Severinsen Model
    Conn 6B in Nickel finish
    Bach 37 (stolen from my car)
    Conn Flugelhorn
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet

Plus MANY others gone, but the above I still think about and miss

4. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Thanks for the kind words, Richtom. I really do have a sweet horn in my Strad--I'll never part with it, even if my trumpet collection grows someday (and I hope it will!!)

Edfitzvb, I feel badly for you in that you now have to miss all those horns. Fortunately, you still have others in your collection!! As you so wisely pointed out, hindsight is always 20/20.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Not sure how "dumb" this was, but when I bought my (new) Fullerton Recording Olds I passed up an LA Recording that had just been through a complete overhaul and a pristine Chicago Benge. Still have that Recording so I can't fault myself too much--but in retrospect it was quite a conundrum for a 13 year old.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    In Texas, we have this thing called First Monday (World's largest Flea Market, only down the road from me). There is a section dedicated solely to instruments and boy are there trumpets galore. If you want to find an amazing horn for cheap, it's where you go. I was buying a new horn, and I saw an older one that a guy was selling for $500, in working condition. I turned him down politely and moved on. Turns out it was a Martin Committee......

7. bachfella

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm not sure if I was familiar with the word "conundrum" at age 13.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a kid I was taught, "we grow so soon old and so late smart". Grandpa taught me that in the Holland language. The English is just as accurate.

OLDLOU>>

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    you should have no regrets. i usually don't appreciate something as much unless i had to sacrifice to get it! It's life.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When ever I meet someone who reegrets a decision from their past I ask them if they remember what was going on that day or week in their life.......... most of us have no idea what we were dealing with or how we were feeling...may have been a good choice on a bad day.
    ..and you do have a Strad!