maybe the old way was better???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Mar 24, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I will 2nd this here as a possible solution. I came across an OLD Jet-Tone mpc that is the smallest thing I have ever seen. It's 19/32 in. diameter! I started messing around with it and made a "smart" comment in a thread it was only good for high notes! SB retorted that anyone that couldn't play it in the lower register just wasn't good enough, or something to that effect! So I felt challenged so to speak and started working it in to just see what I could do with it. All I can say is WOW!! I Love This Mpc.! A lot of the charts I play are commercial in style with many lines starting at G on the staff and written up to high G, or A. I used it last night on a line that gets repeated 3,4,5, or more times depending on the singer. Usually can play it twice and then drop it an octave after that, not last night! After using it a few times I got used to what I had to do to make it work. Played the entire song and did not run outta juice! Hit the high D bird's eye at the end (after playing all those lines) with a punch and it was tight! It doesn't give me any notes I don't have but the one's I do I can play anytime I want! Thank you SB for the "beatdown" or I would have never given that mpc. a shot!

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the replys everyone. going back to 2nd is not an option, we use 3 players and the 3rd can't play anything but the 3rd part and the leader plays 2nd [he was on 1st and when I came along he put me on 1st because he doesn't like !st]. I've been working on my range for over 6 months and didn't gain anything but the loss of endurance. My Benge is a great playing horn [ML bore] and the Blessing is also a great horn. My normal m.p. for years has been a Reeves 42M [ own a 42C,42S 41C,41S,Patrick78M] but have switched to a Hammond 5S about a year ago. Have no problem with volume after have played in a 12 piece group that their main venue was outdoors [Circle City Sidewalk Stompers] for over 11 years. I am going to re-focus my practice to more long tones and Vizz. etudes, seemed to have worked in the past for me. Again - Thank You for everyones input.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My upper range is a lot more solid when I practice the Schlossberg exercises. When I play lead or 2nd (I sub in a couple big bands, but I'm not a regular lead player), I use a 9-CW Connstellation mouthpiece which is pretty small, especially when compared to the huge mouthpiece I play on cornet. It doesn't really give me more range, but I can play up there with it a lot longer before tiring, and it has a bigger, brighter, more penetrating sound.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Dave , you need to talk to the leader. (1) have him split lead with you. Just tell him you can't do it alone. (2) have him scale back the charts to your comfort zone. As a trumpet player he really should understand this. Just putting high charts in front of a player will not make them play higher. this should be deal breaker.

A mpc set up for lead playing can help make life easier. What are you playing on now?

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Dave , you need to talk to the leader. (1) have him split lead with you. Just tell him you can't do it alone. (2) have him sclae back the charts to you comfort zone. As a trmpet player he really should understand this. Just putting high charts in front of a player will not make them play higher. this should be deal breaker. You can't keep beating your chops up and not suffer problems.

A mpc set up for lead playing can help make life easier. What are you playing on now.

Building range takes time. you can do it, but you are not there yet. You'll know when you are.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Bob - I play on a Hammond 5s, also own Reeves 42m,42s 41c and 41s. Have a few others but until I started using the Hammond my Reeves 42m was my go to piece.