Maynard at his best.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 12, 2009.

1. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    rowuk
    i knew he-she was up to no good , anybody that can make a claim like that has to be looking for trouble or controversy .
    i was a young guy on the job , now i am the old guy on the job , i teach others my trade , i work smart and am still able to get as much or more done .

My son loves to hear Maynard play , that is important , not age.

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    "up to no good" ?

...for acknowledging the guy I consider the world's greatest trumpet player was at his best in his prime of life?

It's not that age keeps you from doing your job, but most guys don't sound as good at age 75 as they do at age 35. That's a fact of life. Are you guys afraid to get old?
    I'm beginning to wonder if some of you guys even listened to Maynard that much at all. By the way, Live in San Fran was recorded 24 years ago.. He still had a good deal of his chops back then. For cripes sake, he was still playing his Holton M.F line of horns.

To say that Maynard was as skillful a trumpet player in 2005 as he was in 1965, 1975 or even 1985 goes beyond rational reasoning.

By the way, I'm a he. You can call me, Rob.

Rob

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rob,
    Maynard was more skillful in 2005. He grew musically and had a MUCH larger pool of resources to draw from. He made other choices as to what was appropriate when he played. The fact that he was able to maintain that incredible embouchure is the real story for aspiring musicians. I know of no one that taxed their muscles more or longer.

You are the only one that hasn't got the message. Just leave it alone. You have an opinion that you are entitled to and repeating it to everyone that disagrees does not strengthen your point, it only proves that you in addition to being clueless are also stubborn. You have limited your enjoyment of Maynard by 80%. Your problem.

I am almost to the point of locking the thread because it is going nowhere. You can't communicate with someone that is only on transmit.

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    heh,heh.. It appears to me that you cannot have a friendly disagreement. You accuse me of being stubborn, ridiculous and transmittive about this. I could say the same thing about you, but I normally don't get so upset over differences of opinion. I'm no more stubborn and ridiculous than you appear to me. This has been a two-way conversation - we've each had ample opportunity to argue our points.

Because this has upset and bothered you, I will discontinue the topic out of respect. I look forward to other, more friendly discussions with you. You appear to know a great deal about trumpets and playing and we both love Maynard. I'll end it with that.

Rob