Maynard Ferguson Conquistador rendition by me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kozbob, Sep 4, 2007.

1. kozbob

kozbob New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    United States
    I will submit an updated video soon, please be patient.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Practice for five more years and get back to us.

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I'm not a teacher, but I would say. Put some air thru that horn.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kozbob,
    I just do not understand the urge to beam COMPLETELY unprepared stuff into the internet. You have the opportunity at home to take your time and offer us more than a haphazard practice session.
    If a student of mine came to a lesson prepared like this, I would send them back home.
    The first thing YOU need to get is a little bit of pride. Rhythm bad, cracked notes all over. That can't be what YOU want us to associate with your playing! I can only assume that you have no idea what somebody elses time is worth.

I suggest you get permission from your teacher to broadcast next time! There are enough signs that you can play and just offered us your worst side. Not even worth trying to patch.

P.S. The age of the player makes no difference. The notes are not tough, the range is there - pride and adequate preparation are missing completely. No excuses! I have a great interest in helping, but little interest in getting TM bogged down with tons of unprepared junk. One week of solid preparation with this guy could have given us a result that anybody could have been proud of.................. Do we have to tell everybody that first?

5. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Keep plugging and don't quit. If you are not already with one, try to get together with a group. It will both help your playing and make it more enjoyable.

6. mikeman7

mikeman7 New Friend

Aug 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.

Sh*t Rowuk you obviously don't have children. Ease up homes! Everything you say is TRUE, but, it's the WAY you say it. I don't advocate building a kid's self esteem up when they haven't produced true quality work or haven't put in their best effort, but, a little sensitivity homes........

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mikeman,
    I have 4 children (14, 16, 21 and 26), all different, all involved in music, all with a sense of what they can do and pride in what they do. I also teach and have (among others) two 10 year old beginners that have been playing for 5 months. They play for anybody and everybody - but always give their best!

Political correctness is a curse as far as I am concerned. If something is good it is good. If not, not. We have a generation of the pampered - I see no advantage.

Kozbob could have knocked my socks off. A week of preparation would work wonders. He has the chops, range and technique. He showed us 50% of what he is capable of. That is just not acceptable!

Actually, if he takes that piece, works it out and reposts, he is showing exactly that what is necessary to succeed later. I hope this is the message! Kozbob - work seriously on that cut for a week. You know what you need to do! Give us a taste of YOUR personal 100%!

If we turn the message around so that we always blow sugar where the sun doesn't shine, who benefits? Winning is tough. You pay your dues to be successful. In real life when you screw up, you don't get negative comments, you don't get further bookings!

This is an open internet forum. If it gets bogged down with 50% it becomes less interesting. An abundance of 90-120% makes it exciting.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007