Maynard Ferguson Live -At The Top 1975 dvd

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, Jun 5, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I really liked Maynards trumpet "sermon"at the begining of Gospel John...I always knew Maynard played alittle off center but had never really seen his embrochure up close untill after watching the dvd. He is hitting these crazy high notes with such a powerful,penetrating sound, yet the left side of his lips are so relaxed that you would think he was doing pedals. The right side of his mouth(lips) looks like a nice tight set-up ready to hit the high notes.... wWhenever he was ready to scream....it almost looked like he was saying a silent prayer before he blew into the horn....I think he was "hearing" the note in his mind before he played it...kinda like a great golfer will "visualise" his shot before he addresses the ball. Lynn Nicholson left nothing to the imagination either.....he kicked butt. I cant remember the guys name but the Flugel solo was excellent.....the whole show was great. I was trying to see what type horn he was using but could not tell....help with that anyone??? I am guessing a Conn 38b but I could be wrong.