Maynard Ferguson on the upper register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GB in Japan, Mar 8, 2010.

1. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    In this youtube clip at around 7:30 Maynard Ferguson talks about Atma Hathya's breathing techniques for when playing in the upper registers.

YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Clinic: 05. Upper Register

Any ideas on what he means? Recommended sights on the internet? Where to get copies of such books?

2. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Just google maynard/ yoga breathing. Theres lots of info...

3. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks I will.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    "The Science of Breath" by Yoga Ramachakra, I believe a free download is available but I dont have a link.

Regards, Stuart

5. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    stumac - it's seventy odd pages long but I'll read through it when I get the time. Cheers mate.

To save anyone else the trouble, after I've looked through all the material and tried out the stuff, I'll summarize it and let everyone know.

Then we can all sound like the man himself.:lol:

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just because we read how Maynard did it, does not mean that we will have any where near the results. Technique is not the key to results or success. The key is the synergy between musicality, drive, body and mind.

Yoga helps us with discipline and in the search for that synergy. It is not a roadmap.

The path to within is a very individual one. Judging from the nature of many of the postings at TM, there is very LITTLE within. The ability to listen is perhaps the most critical.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Rowuk sez:
    Just because we read how Maynard did it, does not mean that we will have any where near the results.
    -------------
    really?
    --------
    rowuk sez:
    Judging from the nature of many of the postings at TM, there is very LITTLE within.
    ---------
    Is someone's Karma cup is half empty? There's only one thing that can fix this condition. Corsendonk and lots of it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  9. GB in Japan

GB in Japan New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Aye, as if it's possilbe to sound like the man himself:lol:

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Something to keep in mind... Boss preached air because it's commonly the one aspect of playing that gets overlooked and underworked. When I first got onto the band, I had 1000's of questions... he gave me a copy of the Science of breath. Did it help? Yes, and no. It didn't give me any magical answers as to how to improve my playing... it DID help me understand deep relaxed breathing.

Boss had COMPLETE control over his aperture and his air as a combination - a delicate balance to say the least. If you blow too much air, your lips will most likely blow open or stop vibrating... if you pinch your lips together, you can't get the necessary amount of air through... delicate balance.

Sincerely,

Keith Fiala
    Offering coaching Courses Chops Rehab & Beginning Jazz Improv