Maynard Ferguson Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 25, 2012.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    What kinda of range did Maynard have (don't know if anyone can actually answer that)? I'm actually talking about the range he used during performances. I'm sitting her listining to som MF and WOW! That's all I can say. I don't think I will ever be there. :)

2. Janet Lee

Janet Lee New Friend

May 1, 2011
    In many concerts in the 1970's Maynard played Triple C's, that's 4 octaves above piano Middle C and 3 octaves above third-space C.
    Some such Maynard Triple C's can be found on YouTube.

In the song Ole from around 1960, Maynard played something like E-flat above Triple C, but you have to slow down the recording to hear it.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is referred to as the DHC(double high C) an octave above the one 2 ledger lines above the staff.

4. Janet Lee

Janet Lee New Friend

May 1, 2011
    You are mistaken.
    I and my friends heard Maynard play Triple C's in concerts in the 1970's
    (although in most concerts he only played up to Double C).
    And some of those Triple C's can be heard on YouTube.

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    It's not a very relevant question if you ask me, but he has played around the triple C range in concert.

However he's quoted as having said something along the lines of "What would you actually need the range above Double C for? Maybe for your dog?"

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Really? The C that is 9 ledger lines above the staff?

Can you please share a youtube vid of this, I dont think I have heard that note from a trumpet before. Thats pretty impressive.

7. Janet Lee

Janet Lee New Friend

May 1, 2011
    "The players I've mentioned above, Cat, Bud, and Madrid had registers well into the triple C range at any time during a performance they only used it, if it was appropriate... I've heard Maynard play triple C's live".
    Paul Cacia
    MaynardFerguson.com

I am looking for the famous audio of something like the B below Triple C that Maynard played live in concert during Pagliacci.

Here it is at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAixqACZqiQ&feature

The audio is really bad, but around 6:28 Maynard plays something like a B just below Triple C.

Somewhere on the Internet is a better audio of that note from that concert under the name "bada## note", but I can't find it at the moment.

"The highest I ever heard him play was a Triple C (an octave over Double C!) at the end of "Everybody Loves the Blues" and a Triple B during one of his cadenzas on "Pagliacci."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100219223649AAy23px

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  8. Janet Lee

Janet Lee New Friend

May 1, 2011
    patkins likes this.
  9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Thanks Janet Lee for sharing!

10. Janet Lee

Janet Lee New Friend

May 1, 2011
    I first went to Maynard concerts in the 1970's because my late husband dragged me to them.
    But once I got there I must admit that I enjoyed myself tremendously, because Maynard had charm and a sense of humor in addition to his music talent.
    I think most women who attended Maynard concerts went there at first because their boyfriends or husbands dragged them there, but once they were there Maynard managed to win many of them over.
    I wish I could have attended Maynard concerts in the 1960's, because that was when Maynard's playing was at his most beautifully lyrical, even if Maynard said that it was a low point of his career commercially.