Maynard Ferguson Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 25, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes -- and when I tell people I spend a lot of time on "long soft notes" -- similiar to the Cat Anderson method and the twenty minute 2nd line G. They scoff and say that is boring!!!!. I found the single best way to improve range (for me) is to play soft notes, up and down the scales, and also long notes in both in the staff, and as high as I can replicate notes with good sounds. NOT a lot of fun most of the time. It is very interesting to note thought (for me) --- after many 1000's of hours of playing --- the most difficult thing in the upper range (only to a high G and sometimes High A, anyhow) -- is to get the notes with volume, and also to play them faster. OH it is coming with time (3 1/2 half years as a comebacker now) ----- but it doesn't happen overnight (at least for me)

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If one wants to be continually frustrated ... keep a mindset on "Maynard" high notes. IMO you'll not need them 98+% of the time, and if you do, they are so much easier to play on a piccolo trumpet.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that many forget that Maynard got where he got because of his JAZZ chorus capability. If it had been range alone, there would have been no career. Listen to his jazz solos. They are also harmonically inspiring. I don't even think about the high notes when listening to them. Everything just seems to fit. Man that cat had GROOVE!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, I think the highest note I have seen in the community band is the A just above the staff, and the lowest note is the low G (below the staff) ---- so would I need range for that??? NO -- however, increasing my range does many things that don't include showing off to the rest of the band!!!! it increases confidence (IMHO) and it increases stability of the A, I need to play in the band. Confidence --knowing that I have worked on notes above the high C -- and can play a few lines -- then the A becomes a regular note ---- and NOT a scary note, and it becomes a rather EASY NOTE to play confidently. (some will say you don't need extra range for that) --- I say --- I do. What would Maynard say???? I think it is something of the lines of ----"make the trumpet your favorite toy"!!!! or something like that -- -did Maynard get high range, and such by looking at the music???? or by playing it???? I know the latter is true --- it didn't happen overnight for Maynard either!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly, I've pushed a normal Bb trumpet into the altissimo range with both a Parduba and an Asymmetric mpc playing varying chromatics just for extreme fun or really "testing" a Bb trumpet ... but not post heart surgery and still will stick with my Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet if I have to go there, as I did in my multi instrument rendition of Sousa's The Stars and Stripes, Forever! transposing the C piccolo part to my Schilke. Too, I transpose many violin parts as I did in my multi instrument rendition of Strauss's Tales From The Vienna Woods. I am not adverse to "Maynard's" high range ... I just so seldom need it, just as I expect so many others will also. Too, I don't think even Maynard or many others needed it.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh my goodness Ed, where do I start??????????? I don't believe Doc Severensin needs to be able to play every note, and every genre of music either (jazz, blues, orchestral, etc.) -- Oh, I am not opposed to Doc being able to do that ---- I just sure he doesn't NEED IT.
    I am sure Louis Armstrong didn't need to sing and play trumpet also --- Oh, I am not opposed to the idea of a trumpet player singing and playing a great trumpet sound ---- but ole,Satchmo didn't need that.
    ................AHHHH! AHHHHH!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    didn't need it?? 0r is needing it, and playing it part of what Maynard was about? OH, wait -- Maynard could play an Awesome Ballad --and Maynard sang also (I bet people don't realize that, Maynard sand a few songs in his albums) ------OH MAYNARD didn't need high range --- BUT THAT HELPED DEFINE who he was --------------I mean is Maynard Ferguson Greatest Hits filled with VOCALS from him or trumpet playing????????????????? everyone knows the answer ---- his trumpet playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    MAYNARD FERGUSON the greatest singer ever ---- definitley rivals Frank Sinatra -- which leads me to wonder if Frank ever played the trumpet ---- doesn't matter -- Frank Sinatra was better known for his singing anyhow.
    did Maynard really need to sing also????? no, but I am NOT opposed to his doing so!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    I just didn't think he needed it -- the singing I mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maynard Ferguson - I can't get Started - YouTube

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, IMO the great players as have been or will be, would be (or would have been) just as great playing on the 5 lines and 4 spaces and not vocalized. For me, a real challenge would be to find a great song where the trumpet melody was contained on these 5 lines and 4 spaces. Want to make this challenge even more difficult? If so, find such without any sharps or flats for a Bb trumpet.

"Great" is a word loosely bandied around with an illusive definition. For a player to percieve themself as great would be narcisstic and as such I don't aspire to become great. The reality is that all performers work very hard and have a functional support organization to bring their personna to the public. Yep, it is simply to me: ? > X.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ed, yes, it all comes down to the style and the genre of music, and really the persona of the person playing the music. I want high range -- not because it is in my music --- I just want it, because I love it --- when I (am able) to cork out some decent sounding phrases in the high G, and High A range. I love that ----even if it is only in my practice room ---and I am the only one who hears it. Yes 30 or so years ago --the high C was about my max range with sound --- so having 4 or 5 notes above that (at 47 yrs. old) is "very cool" for me. I suspect it won't last for many more years --- but it is Cool --- and I suspect Maynard was the 1 guy --- who actually made it "COOL" to play in the high range.
    it's never needed, but high range is obviously desired by a great many players --- including me!!!!!

10. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Every sound and note has a potent(ial) place in music.

High register trumpet is one of those sounds.

Exploring every avenue is what a consumate musician does.