Maynard Ferguson Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, Janet Lee (no relation to me that I know of, albeit I have a niece with the same name prior to her marriage) stated as much. All I can say is if you want to play altissimo, be my guest and go there. After a 40+ year layoff I began my comeback in 2006 and in 2009 recorded multi-instrument ( I play all parts) rendition of Edward T. Paull's Charge of The Light Brigade with parts up there on the "ceiling" that I played on a normal Bb trumpet (I didn't have my Schilke picc yet). You figure my age then, if I'll be 75 by the end of this month. But that was before my triple bypass heart surgery.
    Can't remember, and who really cares, but I may have played it on my Lead 342 Assymmetric mpc, While this song is certainly a military theme, I wouldn't place it in the genre of a march, more just as an epic. Edward T. Paull was a prolific marketeer of sheet music, but there is no corroborative evidential finding that he composed music himself. Too, yes this song is very old and in the public domain and the piano sheet music was borrowed from another.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    What makes a trumpet player great is his/her perception of his sound and practicing daily for hours to continue to improve. He/She/Hers is self analytical and critical to the point of near perfection. He/She is to be better today than he/She, was yesterday, without getting caught up into an ego trip. The charisma of a great artist draws the audience into the music with the appreciation that they may have just witnessed hearing something that they may never hear again. To quote Bob Dylan. "No song is ever played exactly the same time live." He knows that music evolves. He knows there is no perfection but apprecaiation of the arts.
    To argue that high range playing is unimportant maybe only true for those who prefer or can only play mid-range, of which there is nothing wrong with that, We should strive to achieve the best that we can, without being overly critical of what another player plays.
    I choose and love second part. I prefer it; however, to say that I don't need higher range is a self imposition to limit myself in progress. After all sometimes the first part player is sick or MIA. I must be prepared; thus. I practice second part, then first part as well. This helps me to appreciate our lead plaeyer much more. Equally, he appreciates me. I would tell anyone to achieve the highest outcome potential in everything that they do; whether it be playing midrange, high range or low range. We all must be realistic to what our limitations are. I really like my trumpet compadres. It is a group of people who have the same desire, to play the trumpet as best as we can and to play in harmony, respecting each other, and honoring those before us who have inspired us!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well said parkins --- well said ----- I might NEVER be an altissimo virtuoso on the trumpet, may never exceed the 7 or 8 bar -- limit at the moment ---- but I still try, and it is still cool -------------and there are a lot of other things I work on also -- including low reg (down to the low F# -- to get that beautiful, and resonant, and very reproducible sound ---------people would be surprised how many don't need that note either, or when they do --------they don't have it perfected.

but I am sure Maynard had the low range perfected as well -----and NONE of it happened overnight!!!!!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am not deriding any who wants to live "upstairs in the attic" or "downstairs in the basement" musically. Been there both musically and living domestically. It just doesn't impress me that so many others strive so very much to achieve this extreme range and moreso prematurely on a normal Bb trumpet. If anyone wants my critique of such ability, I'd ask them to play the C piccolo part of The Stars and Stripes, Forever!. Yes, in this song I'm even a bit irked that in the finale the USMC President's Own crescendos the basses and drums to muffle out the C piccolo reprise. Sousa didn't write a crescendo for the ending of this song! Too, I've yet to hear any Bb trumpeter accurately center on the F# as is actually on the 4th line of the bass clef. To my knowledge I haven't, and it would be pure luck if I could, and my luck isn't that good.

Now my question is this: In a symphony orchestra would the arrangement of a song assign the altissimo parts to a Bb trumpet and the notes in the bass clef to a Bb trumpet? Methinks NOT! At least to my knowledge I don't know of any.

Still, they are not that difficult on piccolo trumpet and euphonium, respectively.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not a problem Ed, I don't have a piccolo -- so I make do with whatever I can get out of the Bb --- and it is all good to me ---- not doing it to impress anyone but myself!!!!!! haven't ever uncorked any of it in public, either --- I think the D above high C is the highest note uncorked in any performance in the last 3 1/2 years.