Maynard - live a jimmy's

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by DrunkIQ, Feb 21, 2004.

1. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    You know everyone keeps telling me this is the bomb. I have seen a record come across ebay only twice and sell for more than I cough up. It appears to be out of print and I don't see why it has not been re-released. I am sure everyone has a death grip on theirs if they have one. If anyone has a line on one and extra one that they will part with or know have a differnt solution then let me know.

Did he go adlib crazy on this or something??? I have always liked his live adlib stuff...

-marc

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    edit

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Marc,

What do you mean ... "did he go adlib crazy"? MF Horn 4 & 5 Live At Jimmy's is a great double LP released by columbia records in the 70's.

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I have a ton of his stuff on CD and vinyl, but the tapes are long gone. I do not have much stuff from him playing live. I have always liked his adlib work from his live performances over his studio work for some reason or another.

-marc

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "Live at Jimmy's" does have some great stuff on it. "The Foxhunt" has been one of my favorite jazz tunes since I was about 15. Maynard proves on that album that he is far more than just a high note artist.

It's funny, I've heard Maynard described as both the best and worst jazz trumpet player by the same person. His stipulation was that it just depended on the time frame that you were referencing.

Maynard can solo his behind off when he wants to.

6. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Maynard defiantly does not get engough recongition, you would think you would see him on the news or talk shows more often, after all he is a living legend and a idol to many.

In the mean time if you have not seen these videos, I suggest you check them out:

http://www.innavoy.com/mfhighlife/video/index.htm

-marc

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Yup ... seen them, and have a lot .. but who told you that MF Horn 4 & 5 Live At Jimmys was a ... bomb? And what is "going crazy adlib"?

8. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I am not sure where you are going with this and I assume we have a dissconect with due to the use of my american slang.

"The bomb" means it is the best.

"Did he go adlib crazy on this or something???" is in refrence to asking if he did more adlibing then what he normally on other alblums.

-marc

9. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I wasn't "Going" anywhere, just asked questions? :D

I've not heard the term "bomb" in a positive manner ... guess I'm getting to old to understand comtemoray slang ... but yea it's a great LP to listen to, just for the fact it's a "live recording". Also, it's the LP Biviano recorded with Maynard.

Some people really love 4 & 5 ... some don't. It's been very talked about LP at times. The production / engineering gets debated, there is a false urban legend that Maynard went back and re-recorded some parts etc ... I just didn't know what you were meaning. No big deal and certainly not trying to stirr up a hornets nest ... enough of that happens here all by it self :lol:

If you can find a decent copy it's worth getting. Some really fine arrangements too ... a really unique treatment of the Tommy Dorsey Theme "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"!

10. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    OK I have not heard it yet and cannot comment, but I was wondering if you would be so kind to elaborate on what part of the production is usually debated on this ablum. I have not heard of the re-recorded thing and am glad that you killed a myth for me before I heard it.

Thanks!

-marc