Mazony, Vulgano, and Rowuk-syllables 2...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 31, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Amen !
    Ditto!
    Robin, remember the song "Fumpf Chinesen mit dem Kontrabass?" What about all those tongue twisters (my favorite: "I slit a sheet, a sheet I slit, upon a slitted sheet I sit") we have fun with? I think the tongue is a fun part of our bodies to play with (pause for one of those "Mmmmmpf...must remain silent" moments). You're right, we don't need to create dogma, and heaven forbid we create "etudes for tongue position" (although that might be a way to make a quick buck, hmm...), and yes, "Tih, Tah, and Toh" are basically all we need to "know" in our heads--our body's less finite wisdom will do the rest.
    I'm going to go to work now, with tongue held firmly in cheek...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mr. Crowmadic!
    I really enjoy this type of thread! We actually get an opportunity to put the unthinkable and unspeakable into words!
    There are MANY methods for helping a player to become more obsessed with the mechanical rather than giving them tools to make better music (I am reading one now called "teach your body to blow" by Malte Burba - excellent material ONLY if you have a teacher paying attention!).
    We often get caught up in the train of thought that if we solve this one last problem - we will get noticably better immediately.
    As you all can tell, I am very guilty of the obsessive analysis - although I have never used it on my own playing.
    As with any thread on specific aspects of playing, the only solution that works is a well rounded program with a light accent on the things that do not come second nature for us. That is where we all need to be.

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I had my most satisfying practice yesterday! I suspect the replies to this thread had some influence. I appreciated my Conn Victor 22B, my Conn 3C, the ability to practice with enjoyment, and a sense of advancement. I experimented with syllables and vowels, but not to distraction. My body, mind, lips, and "blow" followed its natural path. And most of all, I think I discovered that I'm a "long warm-up player". I don't know quite what to do if this is true. I'll post a thread with this question. Thanks to all...............crow