McArthur Park

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 8, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hey just listened to MacArthur Park Maynard version was kind of 1970s high school kind of corny but good. MF screaming away as always. Doc Severinson version is better I think trumpet sounded normal sounding at least.

IMHO

2. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Maynard's version live was always a real adventure. In later years Maynard rarely even played when it was performed as part of a medley. Patrick Hession covered all the high parts Maynard used to play. I have heard Doc live several time but never heard him play it in concert. If my memory is correct I believe Kenton and Woody Herman had it in their book.
    All in all it's a great piece of music by Jimmy Webb, one of our truly great songwriters. I have had the chance to hear Jimmy perform his rendition and he does some interesting things with it. I've also had the chance to speak at length with Jimmy several times. We have a mutual friend. Jimmy is a really great guy and whenever he is performing in my area I make sure to go hear him. His stories about the people who have recorded his songs are priceless. He's got several great stories about Richard Harris.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    There's a rare Chase cover too.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Chase was also ca.1970 I am correct M.F. played on some tracks with Chase or was he in the group. ?I don't remember

5. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    I much prefer Doc's version too. It seems more up tempo of an arrangement, not near as long though. Too bad Doc never put it on an album. At least that I've been able to find. If I'm wrong let me know which album it was on.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Mmmmmmm ... corny.

I heard him play MacArthur Park live in 1973. He started the first set with it. It was a great concert. Everyone was on their feet cheering. Very corny. ;-)

Mike

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Bill played with Maynard in the 50's. As far as I know Maynard did not record with Chase (the group). I'm not sure of the circumstances that Superman was recorded, except that it was after Bill's death.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Superman was Walt Johnson with Chase guys after Bill died. Lynn Nicholson played MacArthur Park in early 70's... And on Facebook now and then.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008