McFacts about the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by orchtrpt, Aug 10, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    just came across this. the report is not exactly from a non bias source but interesting :) anyone else see super size me the movie? :)

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

2. dmb

dmb New Friend

Nov 6, 2003
    I don't know the movie you're talking about, but I do have a bit to say on this; drinking (hot coffee) and driving don't mix. :lol:

Maybe there should be some sort of intelligence test before someone is served a hot drink. :wink:

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    This was a famous case, where a women put coffee between her legs and drove off. The lid popped off and she had third degree burns. All she asked for was for her medical expenses paid. McDonald's refused and lost the suit later.

The admitted they served coffee much hotter than their competition. So hot, it was near boiling and could case severe burns.

The lady got over $2 million and then it was lowered to a half million upon appeal.

Most saw this as a blatant case of lawsuits gone amok. But in reality, McDonald's really was somewhat at fault. People thought this lady was an idiot for putting hot coffee between her legs and driving off. Yes, maybe. But near boiling coffee was not expected. Again, all she asked for was her medical bills paid. Ronald refused and sent the Hamburglar to deliver the message.

What has changed at McDonalds? A warning label saying the coffee is very hot. Boy is it. One of the convenience store chains around here did a great take off on the lawsuit. On their soft drink foam cups they put in big words, "Caution, contents very cold."

Much different than the lawsuit about McDonalds making people obese via happy meals. The parents who fed them all those meals should have their heads examined. Now many fast food restaurants offer fruit as an option instead of fries in the kids meals. Gets them off the hook. So do the salad options.

Jim

4. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    :shock:
    Several years ago, I was driving back and forth from Illinois to Ohio and stopped at a tollway Arby's. I got a sandwich and large coffee to propel myself through the evening hours. Arby's cups at that time were a somewhat spongy styrofoam. Well, about 2 minutes into my drive, I hit a bump and "whoosh, " up went the coffee out of the cup and onto my thigh. So, there I am, going 65, holding a half full cup of coffee that I'm trying to NOT spill any more, my thigh is screaming, and I'm in moderate traffic. I had to get my pants off IMMEDIATELY. Well, after a panicked few moments, I managed to slip out of my pants and get a view of the large red circle on my thigh. I did manage to save the rest of my coffe and sandwich, though, less of my self opinion.

Man... that was no fun :oops:

5. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    how many times have i burned me lip drinking coffee? not to mention the roof of my mouth.

but we still keep drinking it...haha....sometimes even paying 3 or 4 dollars for a cup. thanks mr. bucks....it is so good tho...and will prolly pack on the pounds just as well as a big mac.

solution...no more coffee.....hahaha...right!!!!

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I saw Super Size Me. If you haven't seen it, you should. Basically, it's a documentary about a guy that eats nothing but McDonalds for thirty days. They study the effects the food have on his body(they're quite astounding) and spend much of the movie exploring the eating habits and obesity in America. There are a lot of funny moments too. I especially enjoyed the moments with the guy's vegan(!) girlfriend. I found the film really interesting and enjoyable.