Me Improvising in F (constructive critisism/feedback please)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kozbob, Aug 28, 2007.

1. kozbob

kozbob New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    United States
    Me playin' the Blues. Can u plz give me some feedback and tips to improve my soloing? After all i am only 14.

2. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    Chill with the blues scale. The blues scale can be useful but it goes against the chord changes of a blues. What I mean is, the G blues scale is G Bb C Db D F G right? This can be useful but you have to choose your notes. For example: Don't hang on a Bb in your solo if the chord is G7. I mean, it's all a matter of preference of what you want to hear in a solo, this is just a general example. Just follow the chord changes rather than playing around on the blues scale. That begin said, there were some good ideas i your solo.

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Kozbob!
    I love your zest man.
    you go boy, tear it up man!

peace my man!
    clarence

4. WhatIsHip?

WhatIsHip? Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Guilford, CT
    Keep it up, watch your articulations. Use some effects (half-valve, growl, rips, etc.) You are doing great. Keep practicing as they say.
    Greg

5. ShanefGlynn

ShanefGlynn New Friend

May 17, 2007
    Ireland
    You are coming along nicely at age 14. Timing is very important , make sure not to neglect this area. Sounding Good.

6. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Just keep playing and you'll get better and better. Don't be impatient. Thank you for the post.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I agree with Clarence! Go for it!
    I would suggest improvising to a slower progression, and instead of range, focus on tone, and try to get a bit more melodic. I listened to your Blues for Alice and I am impressed, but still think you need to back off on the need for speed. Someone once said about Monk, that he never played a note that wasn't necessary. Give yourself a chance to be expressive and the pyrotechnics can wait for a while.

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Listen as much as possible! Check out Chet Baker, Clifford Brown, and Freddie Hubbard...they do some awesome stuff with the blues!
    Start transcribing solos too. It'll sharpen your ear and give you a
    vocabulary of stuff 'to say' in your improvisation.
    Good luck,
    andrew

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am definitely not the chorusmaster here, but you may want to first improvise over changes that belong to a specific tune. That way you have a melodic theme in your head before you start.
    When I listen to other people improvise, the first thing that I like to hear is a thread that ties the licks together (or gives me the feeling a new melody has been created devoid of "licks").
    The second "most important thing" is the sense of time. Most of the accomplished jazz musicians that I know get my foot tapping after the first bar that they play, their classical brothers much less often (wouldn't that be a goal - Pictures at an Exhibition played so cool that your foot started tapping after the first bar!?!)!