Meaning of "Hand-lapped valves/slides"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Dec 7, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Hi all,
    I see the term "hand-lapped valves/slides" many times in posts but I never really knew what that meant. Can someone tell me what it means?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It means that the final fitting of those are done by a craftsman and not by machine, if at all. A fine abrasive compound or slurry is applied between surfaces and the parts are worked up and down / in and out to smooth the surfaces where they meet.

v

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It's basically liquid sand paper. Final lapping is usually done with a very high grit, somewhere from 800 grit and up. I think the stuff I use at work is 1200.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    With a reputable company, it means that the valves can have a very consistent feel, but not necessarily have the tightest specs.

If we are talking about the far east, it means that manual labor is cheaper than a maschine.

If you don't know anything about what is going on behind the scenes at a company, it is just a useless tidbit of information.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    If you ever get the chance to tour or see a vidio clip of a company that does this it is simple yet very interesting. The craftsmen at Getzen were VERY talkative when I toured their shop about a year ago. Do you have a manufacturer within driving distance from where you live? Its well worth the effort to see a trumpet go from brass stock to work of art. Best wishes.