Mechanical License Clearance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jul 23, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
  2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You can also get mechanical licensing from HarryFox.com. You only need these for recording covers, if you're doing covers in public, the venue normally covers the licensing fees.

The idea is, if you're going to cover a song on your album, you can pay for the license to the song owner, through major licensing outlets, like Harry Fox. You just open an account, put in the song information to see if it's in there (almost everything is), fill out an application for however many CDs you plan to press, or vinyl, or other categories as well, and submit it. You can just calculate the standard rate, which is pretty low, or you can make them an offer. If they approve it, you have license to record that cover, and make so many CDs or whatever, that you agreed on. You pay it up front. Doesn't matter what you sell, just how many you want to create. It's not free, but it's not expensive, and you're completely legal.

Turtle

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Why do they call it a "Mechanical" license, seriously, by the way? I would have thought it might have the word copyright in the name someplace.

4. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I looked into all this recently because I'm recording an album, and I already have one cover. It's in the system, so I can use it if I pay for it. I like the overall way that all this works, it makes it quick and easy .... you don't have to track down songwriters or song owners. Your money for it presumably gets to the person who wrote the song (in my cover case, Sheryl Crow), but how much depends on what deal they have with their record company/label, or if they are independent, etc. I don't think any of the money I'll pay for it will reach Sheryl Crow, because I read that she sold her entire song list a few years back, for 10 million dollars :)shock:). She already got paid for it.

That just points out what a great system it is if you're a popular songwriter and a lot of people want to cover your songs ..... You could get rich.

Turtle